Is Labor Mobility a Channel for Spillovers from Multinationals? Evidence from Norwegian Manufacturing
AbstractDoes hiring workers with experience from multinationals (MNEs) increase productivity in non-MNEs? Tracing worker flows between plants in Norwegian manufacturing during the 1990s, I find a positive correlation between the share of workers with MNE experience in non-MNEs and the productivity of these plants. Workers with MNE experience contribute 20%% more to the productivity of their plant than workers without such experience, even after controlling for differences in unobservable worker characteristics. The private return to mobility is smaller than the productivity effect at the plant level, which suggests that labor mobility from MNEs to non-MNEs represents a true knowledge externality. © 2011 The President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 93 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kunal Dasgupta, 2010.
"Learning and Knowledge Diffusion in a Global Economy,"
tecipa-410, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Dasgupta, Kunal, 2012. "Learning and knowledge diffusion in a global economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 323-336.
- Sverre Herstad & Øyvind Pålshaugen & Bernd Ebersberger, 2011. "Industrial Innovation Collaboration in a Capital Region Context," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 507-532, December.
- J. Herstad , Sverre & Ebersberger , Bernd & Asheim, Bjørn, 2013. "MNC affiliation, knowledge bases and involvement in global innovation networks," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/12, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Sampson, Thomas, 2013. "Brain drain or brain gain? Technology diffusion and learning on-the-job," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 162-176.
- Espen Moen, 2012. "Knowledge spillovers in competitive search equilibrium," 2012 Meeting Papers 913, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Katariina Nilsson Hakkala & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2014. "Multinationals, Competition and Productivity Spillovers through Worker Mobility," Working Papers 54, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Asheim, Bjørn & M. Bugge, Markus & Coenen, Lars & Herstad, Sverre, 2013. "What Does Evolutionary Economic Geography Bring To The Policy Table? Reconceptualising regional innovation systems," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2013/5, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Tanaka, Kiyoyasu & Hashiguchi, Yoshihiro, 2012. "Spatial spillovers from FDI agglomeration : evidence from the Yangtze River Delta in China," IDE Discussion Papers 354, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Mion, Giordano & Opromolla, Luca David, 2013. "Managers’ mobility, trade performance, and wages," Working Paper Series 1596, European Central Bank.
- Thomas Sampson, 2012. "Brain Drain or Brain Gain? Technology Diffusion and Learning On-the-job," CEP Discussion Papers dp1168, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Vera Rocha & Anabela Carneiro & Celeste Amorim Varum, 2013. "Entrepreneurship Dynamics: Entry Routes, Business-Owner's Persistence and Exit Modes," CEF.UP Working Papers 1310, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.