Social Influence and Consumption: Evidence from the Automobile Purchases of Neighbors
AbstractThis study analyzes the automobile purchase behavior of all residents of two Finnish provinces over several years. Using a comprehensive data set with location coordinates at the individual consumer level, it finds that the purchases of neighbors, particularly in the recent past and by those who are geographically most proximate, influence a consumer's purchases of automobiles. There is little evidence that emotional biases, like envy, account for the observed social influence on consumption. Copyright by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 90 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dujardin, Claire & Goffette-Nagot, Florence, 2010.
"Neighborhood effects on unemployment?: A test à la Altonji,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 380-396, November.
- DUJARDIN, Claire & GOFFETTE-NAGOT, Florence, . "Neighborhood effects on unemployment? A test à la Altonji," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2262, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Claire Dujardin & Florence Goffette-Nagot, 2009. "Neighborhood effects on unemployment ? A test à la Altonji," Working Papers 0924, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- DUJARDIN, Claire & GOFFETTE-NAGOT, Florence, 2009. "Neighborhood effects on unemployment ? A test à la Altonji," CORE Discussion Papers 2009084, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Claire Dujardin & Florence Goffette-Nagot, 2010. "Neighborhood effects on unemployment ? A test à la Altonji," Post-Print halshs-00435119, HAL.
- P. Baecke & D. Van Den Poel, 2012. "Improving Customer Acquisition Models by Incorporating Spatial Autocorrelation at Different Levels of Granularity," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/819, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Helms, Andrew C., 2012. "Keeping up with the Joneses: Neighborhood effects in housing renovation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 303-313.
- Hirshleifer, David & Teoh, Siew Hong, 2008.
"Thought and Behavior Contagion in Capital Markets,"
9164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fullerton, Thomas M. & Juarez, David A. & Walke, Adam G., 2012. "Residential electricity consumption in Seattle," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1693-1699.
- Kaustia, Markku & Knüpfer, Samuli, 2012. "Peer performance and stock market entry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 321-338.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.