Does Social Capital Promote Industrialization? Evidence from a Rapid Industrializer
AbstractA new stylized fact in development economics is the importance of social capital in promoting economic growth. This paper examines the effect of social capital on industrialization in Indonesia. We analyze a rich set of social capital and social interaction measures, including voluntary associational activity and levels of trust and informal cooperation. The main finding is that initial social capital does not predict subsequent industrial development across 274 Indonesian districts. Though these findings are for only a single nation and may not apply everywhere, they call into question recent claims regarding social capital and economic development. © 2005 President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 87 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Benjamin Feigenberg & Erica M. Field & Rohini Pande, 2010.
"Building Social Capital Through MicroFinance,"
NBER Working Papers
16018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feigenberg, Benjamin & Field, Erica M. & Pande, Rohini, 2010. "Building Social Capital through Microfinance," Working Paper Series rwp10-019, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Feigenberg, Benjamin & Field, Erica Marie & Pande, Rohini, 2010. "Building Social Capital Through Microfinance," Scholarly Articles 4449105, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Miller, Douglas L. & Scheffler, Richard & Lam, Suong & Rosenberg, Rhonda & Rupp, Agnes, 2006. "Social capital and health in Indonesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1084-1098, June.
- Bouma, Jetske & Bulte, Erwin & van Soest, Daan, 2008. "Trust and cooperation: Social capital and community resource management," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 155-166, September.
- Danis, Wade M. & De Clercq, Dirk & Petricevic, Olga, 2011. "Are social networks more important for new business activity in emerging than developed economies? An empirical extension," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 394-408, August.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2008. "The role of social capital in homogeneous society: Review of recent researches in Japan," MPRA Paper 11385, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- De Clercq, Dirk & Danis, Wade M. & Dakhli, Mourad, 2010. "The moderating effect of institutional context on the relationship between associational activity and new business activity in emerging economies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 85-101, February.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2011.
"The role of social trust in reducing long-term truancy and forming human capital in Japan,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 380-389, April.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2010. "The role of social trust in reducing long-term truancy and forming human capital in Japan," MPRA Paper 26407, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2010. "The role of social trust in reducing long-term truancy and forming human capital in Japan," MPRA Paper 23759, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- E. Santarelli & H. T. Tran, 2012.
"The Interplay of Human and Social Capital in Shaping Entrepreneurial Performance: The Case of Vietnam,"
wp803, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Enrico Santarelli & Hien Tran, 2013. "The interplay of human and social capital in shaping entrepreneurial performance: the case of Vietnam," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 435-458, February.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2009.
"Dynamics of social trust and human capital in the learning process: The case of the Japan garment cluster in the period 1968-2005,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 377-389, October.
- yamamura, eiji, 2008. "Dynamics of social trust and human capital in the learning process: The case of the Japan garment cluster in the period 1968-2005," MPRA Paper 10251, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Krishna Paudel & Mark Schafer, 2009. "The Environmental Kuznets Curve Under a New Framework: The Role of Social Capital in Water Pollution," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 42(2), pages 265-278, February.
- Casson, Mark C. & Della Giusta, Marina & Kambhampati, Uma S., 2010. "Formal and Informal Institutions and Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 137-141, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.