Timber Sale Auctions with Random Reserve Prices
AbstractThis paper analyzes first-price sealed-bid auctions of standing timber organized by the French forest service, Office National des For�ts (ONF). A feature of these auctions is that they are held with random reserve prices. We consider an auction model with a random reserve price within the independent-private-value paradigm. After establishing the identification of the model, we estimate the underlying bidders' private-value distribution by using a simple two-step nonparametric procedure. This procedure allows the computation of the winners' informational rents as well as the optimal reserve price. We then simulate a first-price sealed-bid auction with the optimal announced reserve price. Empirical results show that the optimal reserve price allows the ONF to extract more of bidders' willingnesses to pay. Moreover, our results show that, though sales do not vary much, profits for the ONF would significantly increase and less timber would be sold. © 2003 President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bedri Kamil Onur Tas & Rasim Ozcan & Ilke Onur, 2008.
"Public Procurement Auctions and Competition in Turkey,"
0814, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Department of Economics.
- İlke Onur & Rasim Özcan & Bedri Taş, 2012. "Public Procurement Auctions and Competition in Turkey," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 207-223, May.
- Gaurab Aryal & Maria F. Gabrielli, 2011.
"Testing for Collusion in Asymmetric First-Price Auctions,"
ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics
2011-564, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Aryal, Gaurab & Gabrielli, Maria F., 2013. "Testing for collusion in asymmetric first-price auctions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 26-35.
- Antonio Estache & A. Iimi, 2008.
"Bidder Asymmetry in Infrastructure Procurement: Are There any Fringe Bidders?,"
Working Papers ECARES
2008_020, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Antonio Estache & Atsushi Iimi, 2010. "Bidder Asymmetry in Infrastructure Procurement: Are There any Fringe Bidders?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 163-187, March.
- Estache, Antonio & Iimi, Atsushi, 2008. "Bidder asymmetry in infrastructure procurement : are there any fringe bidders ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4660, The World Bank.
- Elyakime, Bernhard & Loisel, Patrice, 2005. "An optimal standing timber auction?," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 107-120, September.
- Laurent Lamy, 2008.
"The econometrics of auctions with asymmetric anonymous bidders,"
PSE Working Papers
- Lamy, Laurent, 2012. "The econometrics of auctions with asymmetric anonymous bidders," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 113-132.
- Laurent Lamy, 2007. "The Econometrics of Auctions with Asymmetric Anonymous Bidders," Working Papers 2007-24, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Alan Mehlenbacher, 2007. "Multiagent System Platform for Auction Simulations," Department Discussion Papers 0706, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Estache, Antonio & Iimi, Atsushi, 2011.
"(Un)bundling infrastructure procurement: Evidence from water supply and sewage projects,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 104-114, June.
- Estache, Antonio & Iimi, Atsushi, 2009. "(UN)Bundling infrastructure procurement : evidence from water supply and sewage projects," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4854, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & A. Iimi, 2009. "(Un)Bundling Infrastructure Procurement: Evidence from Water Supply and Sewage Projects," Working Papers ECARES 2009_007, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Tong Li, 2005. "Econometrics of first-price auctions with entry and binding reservation prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 173-200, May.
- Zheng, Xiaoyong, 2009. "Quantifying the cost of excess market thickness in timber sale auctions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 553-566, September.
- Li, Tong, 2010. "Indirect inference in structural econometric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 120-128, July.
- Iimi, Atsushi, 2013. "Multidimensional auctions for public energy efficiency projects : evidence from the Japanese ESCO market," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6485, The World Bank.
- Gerard Marty & Raphaele Preget, 2007. "A Socio-economic Analysis of French Public Timber Sales," Working Papers - Cahiers du LEF 2007-03, Laboratoire d'Economie Forestiere, AgroParisTech-INRA.
- Li, Tong & Zheng, Xiaoyong, 2012. "Information acquisition and/or bid preparation: A structural analysis of entry and bidding in timber sale auctions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 29-46.
- Lu Ji & Tong Li, 2008. "Multi-round procurement auctions with secret reserve prices: theory and evidence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(7), pages 897-923.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.