Fixed Costs Of Adjustment, Coordination, And Industry Investment
AbstractWe test whether smooth industry-level investment dynamics result from explicit aggregation of asynchronous and possibly lumpy firm-level investment. We compare the deviations of optimal from actual firm behavior across industries categorized by their ratios of idiosyncratic uncertainty to the sum of idiosyncratic and aggregate uncertainty. The deviations are represented by the residuals of a cointegrating regression that is derived from the firm's first-order condition under no adjustment costs. In support of models with asynchronous firm decisions, we find a significant negative relationship across industries between idiosyncratic uncertainty and the persistence of these residuals. © 2001 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 83 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M. Grazzi & N. Jacoby & T. Treibich, 2013.
"Dynamics of Investment and Firm Performance: Comparative evidence from manufacturing industries,"
wp869, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Marco Grazzi & Nadia Jacoby & Tania Treibich, 2013. "Dynamics of Investment and Firm Performance: Comparative Evidence from Manufacturing Industries," GREDEG Working Papers 2013-09, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Marco Grazzi & Nadia Jacoby & Tania Treibich, 2013. "Dynamics of Investment and Firm Performance: Comparative evidence from manufacturing industries," LEM Papers Series 2013/06, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Nick Bloom & Stephen Bond & John Van Reenen, 2007.
"Uncertainty and Investment Dynamics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(2), pages 391-415.
- John Van Reenen & Nick Bloom & Steve Bond, 2006. "Uncertainty and investment dynamics," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2645, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen & Stephen Bond, 2006. "Uncertainty and Investment Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 12383, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nick Bloom & Stephen Bond & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Uncertainty and Investment Dynamics," CEP Discussion Papers dp0739, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Verona, Fabio, 2012.
"Lumpy investment in sticky information general equilibrium,"
IMFS Working Paper Series
55, Institute for Monetary and Financial Stability (IMFS), Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Fabio Verona, 2011. "Lumpy investment in sticky information general equilibrium," CEF.UP Working Papers 1102, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Verona, Fabio, 2013. "Lumpy investment in sticky information general equilibrium," Research Discussion Papers 16/2013, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.