Wage Inequality, Collective Bargaining, And Relative Employment From 1985 To 1994: Evidence From Fifteen Oecd Countries
AbstractUsing microdata from 1985 to 1994 for fifteen OECD countries, I find that greater union coverage and membership lead to higher relative pay and lower relative employment for less-skilled men, with similar pay effects but only weak evidence of negative employment effects for less-skilled women. Greater economy-wide union coverage or membership leads to lower employment and higher relative wages for young men (with similar but weaker effects for young women), and a greater propensity to attend school for both genders. With few jobs for young people, education may have a low opportunity cost and may enhance one's employability. © 2000 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jörg Lingens & Klaus Wälde, 2007.
"Pareto-Improving Unemployment Policies,"
2007_34, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Wälde, Klaus & Lingens, Jörg, 2005. "Pareto - Improving Unemployment Policies," W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers 63, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Jörg Lingens & Klaus Wälde, 2006. "Pareto-Improving Unemployment Policies," CESifo Working Paper Series 1807, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jorg, LINGENS & Klaus, WAELDE, 2005. "Pareto-Improving Unemployment Policies," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005033, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Cornelissen, Thomas & Jirjahn, Uwe, 2012.
"September 11th and the earnings of Muslims in Germany—The moderating role of education and firm size,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 490-504.
- Thomas Cornelißen & Uwe Jirjahn, 2010. "September 11th and the Earnings of Muslims in Germany: The Moderating Role of Education and Firm Size," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 278, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Thomas Cornelissen & Uwe Jirjahn, 2010. "September 11th and the Earnings of Muslims in Germany - The Moderating Role of Education and Firm Size," Research Papers in Economics 2010-02, University of Trier, Department of Economics.
- Nils Karlson & Marcus Box & Almas Heshmati, 2009.
"Generality, State Neutrality and Unemployment in the OECD,"
TEMEP Discussion Papers
200931, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Nov 2009.
- Heshmati Almas & Karlson Nils & Box Marcus, 2013. "Generality, State Neutrality and Unemployment in the OECD," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 13(3), pages 333-358, December.
- Karlson, Nils & Box, Marcus & Heshmati, Almas, 2008. "Generality, State Neutrality and Unemployment in the OECD," Ratio Working Papers 124, The Ratio Institute.
- Patrick A. Puhani, 2008.
"Transatlantic Differences in Labour Markets: Changes in Wage and Non-Employment Structures in the 1980s and the 1990s,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 312-338, 08.
- Puhani, Patrick A., 2005. "Transatlantic Differences in Labour Markets Changes in Wage and Non-Employment Structures in the 1980s and the 1990s," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 36793, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Patrick A. Puhani, 2000. "Transatlantic Differences in Labour Markets: Changes in Wage and Non-Employment Structures in the 1980s and the 1990s," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp762, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Koeniger, Winfried & Leonardi, Marco & Nunziata, Luca, 2004.
"Labour Market Institutions and Wage Inequality,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1291, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Juan F. Jimeno & Diego Rodríguez-Palenzuela, 2003.
"Youth Unemployment in the OECD: Demographic Shifts, Labour Market Institutions and Macroeconomic Shocks,"
Economics Working Papers
019, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Jimeno, Juan F. & Rodriguez-Palenzuela, Diego, 2002. "Youth unemployment in the OECD: demographic shifts, labour market institutions, and macroeconomic shocks," Working Paper Series 0155, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.