Near Unit Roots And The Predictive Power Of Yield Spreads For Changes In Long-Term Interest Rates
AbstractThe ability of yield spreads to predict changes in long-term interest rates implied by the expectations hypothesis is usually rejected. It is suggested that this rejection is often caused by high persistence in the spread when standard inference is employed. Instead, the asymptotically valid method of Cavanagh et al. (1995) is applied to monthly U.S. data from 1952:1-1991:2. The persistence of the spreads seems to have varied over time, and in subsample analysis, the expectations hypothesis cannot be rejected at the long end of the maturity spectrum. © 1999 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 81 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sarno, Lucio & Thornton, Daniel L, 2002.
"The Dynamic Relationship Between the Federal Funds rate and the Treasury Bill Rate: An Empirical Investigation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sarno, Lucio & Thornton, Daniel L., 2003. "The dynamic relationship between the federal funds rate and the Treasury bill rate: An empirical investigation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1079-1110, June.
- Lucio Sarno & Daniel L. Thornton, 2002. "The dynamic relationship between the federal funds rate and the Treasury bill rate: an empirical investigation," Working Papers 2000-032, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Peter Reinhard Hansen, 2000. "Structural Breaks in the Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Model," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1240, Econometric Society.
- Markku Lanne, 2003.
"Testing the Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure of Interest Rates in the Presence of a Potential Regime Shift,"
University of Manchester, vol. 71(Supplemen), pages 54-67, 09.
- Lanne, Markku, 1999. "Testing the Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure of Interest Rates in the Presence of a Potential Regime Shift," Research Discussion Papers 20/1999, Bank of Finland.
- Markku Lanne, 2000. "Testing The Expectations Hypothesis Of The Term Structure Of Interest Rates In The Presence Of A Potential Regime Shift," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 294, Society for Computational Economics.
- Guidolin, Massimo & Timmermann, Allan G, 2007.
"Forecasts of US Short-term Interest Rates: A Flexible Forecast Combination Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6188, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guidolin, Massimo & Timmermann, Allan, 2009. "Forecasts of US short-term interest rates: A flexible forecast combination approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 150(2), pages 297-311, June.
- Massimo Guidolin & Allan Timmerman, 2007. "Forecasts of U.S. short-term interest rates: a flexible forecast combination approach," Working Papers 2005-059, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Balázs Romhányi, 2005. "A learning hypothesis of the term structure of interest rates," Macroeconomics 0503001, EconWPA.
- Peter Reinhard Hansen, 2000.
"Structural Changes in the Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Model,"
2000-20, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Peter Reinhard, 2003. "Structural changes in the cointegrated vector autoregressive model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 261-295, June.
- Massimo Guidolin & Daniel L. Thornton, 2010. "Predictions of short-term rates and the expectations hypothesis," Working Papers 2010-013, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Erdenebat Bataa & Dong H. Kim & Denise R. Osborn, 2006.
"A Further Examination of the Expectations Hypothesis for the Term Structure,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0611, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- E Bataa & D R Osborn & D H Kim, 2006. "A Further Examination of the Expectations Hypothesis for the Term Structure," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 72, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Frédérique BEC, Charbel BASSIL, 2008.
"Federal Funds Rate Stationarity: New Evidence,"
THEMA Working Papers
2008-35, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Bulkley, George & Giordani, Paolo, 2011. "Structural breaks, parameter uncertainty, and term structure puzzles," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 222-232, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.