Structural Unemployment, Cyclical Unemployment, and Income Inequality
AbstractThis is the first study that decomposes unemployment into its structural and cyclical components and investigates their impact on income distribution, controlling for the influence of inflation. Increases in structural unemployment have a substantial aggravating impact on income inequality. Inflation has a progressive impact, which is due to the unexpected component. The study demonstrates that previous work failed to take into account the stochastic trend behavior of the variables. Consequently, specifications used by previous research cannot predict the behavior of income shares after 1983, whereas the specification used by this paper generates accurate forecasts. The results also indicate that a sustained GNP growth is not necessarily associated with an improvement in income inequality, because sustained GNP growth can coexist with increased structural unemployment. © 1999 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 81 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Tselios, Vassilis, 2008.
"Inequalities in Income and Education and Regional Economic Growth in Western Europe,"
DYNREG34, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Vassilis Tselios, 2010. "Inequalities in income and education and regional economic growth in western Europe," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 349-375, April.
- Odedokun, Matthew & Round, Jeffery I., 2001. "Determinants of Income Inequality and its Effects on Economic Growth: Evidence from African Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- H. Naci Mocan & Hope Corman, 2000. "A Time-Series Analysis of Crime, Deterrence, and Drug Abuse in New York City," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 584-604, June.
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Vasileios Tselios, 2006.
"Education and Income Inequality in the Regions of the European Union,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p370, European Regional Science Association.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Vassilis Tselios, 2009. "Education And Income Inequality In The Regions Of The European Union," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 411-437.
- Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Tselios, Vassilis, 2007. "Education and Income Inequality in the Regions of the European Union," Papers DYNREG09, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Vassilis Tselios, 2007. "Education and income inequality in the regions of the European Union," Working Papers 2007-17, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Vassilis Tselios, 2008. "Education and income inequality in the regions of the European Union," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33188, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Vassilis Tselios, 2008. "Education and Income Inequality in the Regions of the European Union," SERC Discussion Papers 0011, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Steven D. Mullins, 2012. "The Unemployment Impact of the 2008 Extension of Unemployment Insurance: As High as Robert Barro Suggested?," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 9(1), pages 3-20, January.
- Tuomas Malinen, 2011. "Income Inequality and Savings: A Reassessment of the Relationship in Cointegrated Panels," DEGIT Conference Papers c016_076, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Altindag, Duha T., 2012.
"Crime and unemployment: Evidence from Europe,"
International Review of Law and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 145-157.
- Duha Tore Altindag, . "Crime and Unemployment: Evidence from Europe," Departmental Working Papers 2009-13, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Duha T. Altindag, 2011. "Crime and Unemployment: Evidence from Europe," Auburn Economics Working Paper Series auwp2011-13, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Hope Corman & Naci Mocan, 2002.
"Carrots, Sticks and Broken Windows,"
NBER Working Papers
9061, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karanassou, Marika & Sala, Hector, 2011.
"Inequality and Employment Sensitivities to the Falling Labour Share,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5796, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marika Karanassou & Hector Sala, 2011. "Inequality and Employment Sensitivities to the Falling Labour Share," Working Papers 680, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Jürgen Faik, 2012.
"Impacts of an Ageing Society on Macroeconomics and Income Inequality – The Case of Germany since the 1980s,"
272, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Jürgen Faik, 2012. "Impacts of an Ageing Society on Macroeconomics and Income Inequality: The Case of Germany since the 1980s," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 518, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Luis Ayala & Olga Cantó & Juan G. Rodríguez, 2011. "Poverty and the business cycle: The role of the intra-household distribution of unemployment," Working Papers 222, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Tuomas, Malinen, 2011. "Inequality and savings: a reassesment of the relationship in cointegrated panels," MPRA Paper 33350, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha & Turchick, David, 2012. "Equilibrium unemployment-inequality correlation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 454-469.
- Claus, Iris & Martinez-Vazquez, Jorge & Vulovic, Violeta, 2012.
"Government Fiscal Policies and Redistribution in Asian Countries,"
ADB Economics Working Paper Series
310, Asian Development Bank.
- Iris Claus & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & VIoleta Vulovic, 2012. "Government Fiscal Policies and Redistribution in Asian Countries," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1213, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.