Hospital Costs and Excess Bed Capacity: A Statistical Analysis
AbstractThis paper develops and estimates a cost model for U.S. hospitals, analyzing the cost of excess bed capacity. A new estimate is worth making for at least two reasons. Recent changes in the economic environment of hospitals have caused their utilization rates to fall sharply, making previous estimates inaccurate. Second, we employ econometric techniques not previously applied to this problem, with estimation based on all short-term community hospitals from 1979-89. Our results, based on conservative estimates of the average optimal occupancy rate, indicate an annual cost of excess bed capacity of $17.2 billion in 1989, $24.1 billion in 1991, and over $25 billion in 1993. Copyright 1996 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jon Magnussen & Lee Rivers Mobley, 1999. "The Impact of Market Environment on Excess Capacity and the Cost of an Empty Hospital Bed," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 383-398.
- Baker, Laurence C. & Phibbs, Ciaran S. & Guarino, Cassandra & Supina, Dylan & Reynolds, James L., 2004. "Within-year variation in hospital utilization and its implications for hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 191-211, January.
- Gary Ferrier & Hervé Leleu & Vivian Valdmanis, 2009. "Hospital capacity in large urban areas: is there enough in times of need?," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 103-117, October.
- Mike Smet, 2007. "Measuring performance in the presence of stochastic demand for hospital services: an analysis of Belgian general care hospitals," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 13-29, February.
- Ludwig Kuntz & Stefan Scholtes & Antonio Vera, 2007. "Incorporating efficiency in hospital-capacity planning in Germany," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 213-223, September.
- Siciliani, Luigi & Stanciole, Anderson & Jacobs, Rowena, 2009.
"Do waiting times reduce hospital costs?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 771-780, July.
- Capps, Cory & Dranove, David & Lindrooth, Richard C., 2010. "Hospital closure and economic efficiency," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 87-109, January.
- Mobley, Lee R., 2003. "Estimating hospital market pricing: an equilibrium approach using spatial econometrics," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 489-516, July.
- John Schneider, 2003. "Changes in the Effects of Mandatory Rate Regulation On Growth in Hospital Operating Costs, 1980–1996," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 297-312, June.
- Rexford E. Santerre & John A. Vernon, 2005. "Hospital Ownership Mix Efficiency in the US: An Exploratory Study," NBER Working Papers 11192, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurie J. Bates & Rexford E. Santerre, 2005. "Do Agglomeration Economies Exist in the Hospital Services Industry," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 617-628, Fall.
- Laurie Bates & Rexford Santerre, 2008. "Do health insurers possess monopsony power in the hospital services industry?," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 1-11, March.
- Hughes, David & McGuire, Alistair, 2003. "Stochastic demand, production responses and hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 999-1010, November.
- Cohen, Jeffrey P. & Morrison Paul, Catherine, 2008. "Agglomeration and Cost Economies for Washington State Hospital Services," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 553-564, November.
- D. Fabbri, 1999.
"Riforma Sanitaria e produzione ospedaliera,"
362, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Lindrooth, Richard C. & Lo Sasso, Anthony T. & Bazzoli, Gloria J., 2003. "The effect of urban hospital closure on markets," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 691-712, September.
- Martin Gaynor & Gerard F. Anderson, 1995.
"Uncertain Demand, The Structure of Hospital Costs, and the Cost of EmptyHospital Beds,"
NBER Working Papers
4460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gaynor, Martin & Anderson, Gerard F., 1995. "Uncertain demand, the structure of hospital costs, and the cost of empty hospital beds," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 291-317, August.
- Ana Rodr�guez-�lvarez & C. A. Knox Lovell, 2004. "Excess capacity and expense preference behaviour in National Health Systems: an application to the Spanish public hospitals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 157-169.
- Preyra, Colin & Pink, George, 2006. "Scale and scope efficiencies through hospital consolidations," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1049-1068, November.
- Rexford E. Santerre & John A. Vernon, 2006. "The consumer welfare implications of the hospital ownership mix in the US: an exploratory study," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(11), pages 1187-1199.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.