Further Evidence on Japanese Direct Investment in U.S. Manufacturing
AbstractThis paper examines the cross-industry determinants of the importance of Japanese direct investment activities in U.S. manufacturing through an extension of the analysis in a recent article by Bruce Kogut and Sea Jin Chang (1991). The results indicate significant positive roles for Japanese technology and marketing assets. While U.S. technology assets are insignificant, a significant negative effect for U.S. marketing assets suggests that entry barriers related to marketing are more important than any use of foreign direct investment by Japanese firms to access these assets. In addition, U.S. government policies toward defense-oriented industries appear to act as a deterrent to Japanese direct investment. Copyright 1996 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Rossitza B. Wooster, 2003.
"CEO Turnover and Foreign Market Participation,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2003-24, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Mar 2003.
- Belderbos, Rene & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 1998.
"Tariff jumping DFI and export substitution: Japanese electronics firms in Europe,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 601-638, September.
- Belderbos, Rene & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 1998. "Tariff jumping DFI and export substitution: Japanese electronics firms in Europe," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/101265, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Sourafel Girma & David Greenaway & Katherine Wakelin, 2002. "Does antidumping stimulate FDI? Evidence from Japanese firms in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 414-436, September.
- Hideki Yamawaki, 2006. "The location of American and Japanese multinationals in Europe," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 157-173, November.
- John Cantwell & Rajneesh Narula, 2001. "The Eclectic Paradigm in the Global Economy," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 155-172.
- Milner, Chris & Reed, Geoff & Talerngsri, Pawin, 2004. "Foreign direct investment and vertical integration of production by Japanese multinationals in Thailand," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 805-821, December.
- René Belderbos, 1997. "Antidumping and tariff Jumping: Japanese firms’ DFI in the European union and the United States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(3), pages 419-457, September.
- Ito, Keiko & Fukao, Kyoji, 2003.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Trade in Japan: An Empirical Analysis Based on the Establishment and Enterprise Census for 1996,"
Discussion Paper Series
a441, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ito, Keiko & Fukao, Kyoji, 2005. "Foreign direct investment and trade in Japan: An empirical analysis based on the Establishment and Enterprise Census for 1996," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 414-455, September.
- Berry, Heather & Sakakibara, Mariko, 2008. "Resource accumulation and overseas expansion by Japanese multinationals," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 277-302, February.
- Tomlin, Kasaundra M., 2008. "Japanese FDI into U.S. service industries: Exchange rate changes and services tradability," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 521-541, December.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Rossitza B. Wooster, 2001. "Networking and Foreign Direct Investment Activity," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2002-8, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Sep 2002.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.