Generalized Theil-Tornqvist Indices with Applications to International Comparisons of Prices and Real Output
AbstractThe Theil-Tornqvist index number is widely used for binary comparisons of prices, output, and productivity. This paper describes various generalizations of the Theil-Tornqvist index for purposes of multilateral spatial comparisons due to Douglas W. Caves, Laurits R. Christensen, and W. Erwin Diewert, and more recent further generalizations due to D. S. Prasada Rao and E. Anthony Selvanathan based on the 'stochastic approach' to index numbers. The applicability of the new index numbers is demonstrated using international comparison data on private consumption expenditure and manufacturing-sector output. Copyright 1995 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 77 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- J. P. Neary, 1997.
"True multilateral indexes for international comparisons of purchasing power and real income,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20355, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Neary, P.J., 1996. "True Multilateral Indexex for International Comparisons of Purchasing Power and Real Income," Papers 96/22, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- J.P. Neary, 1997. "True Multilateral Indexes for International Comparisons of Purchasing Power and Real Income," CEP Discussion Papers dp0329, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- E. A. Selvanathan, 2003. "Extending the stochastic approach to index numbers: a comment on Crompton," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 213-215.
- Neary, J Peter, 2000. "True Multilateral Indexes for International Comparisons of Real Income: Theory and Empirics," CEPR Discussion Papers 2590, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Selvanathan, E. A. & Selvanathan, S., 2004. "Modelling the commodity prices in the OECD countries: a stochastic approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 233-247, March.
- Eric Blankmeyer, 1999. "Best Log-linear Index Numbers: Extensions and Applications," Econometrics 9904001, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.