Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment over Time: An Analysis with Event History Data
AbstractUsing event history data, this paper analyzes the distribution of reemployment spell durations conditional on the completed length of the preceding (contiguous) spell of unemployment. The model is used to infer how unemployment insurance, through unemployment duration, may affect the likelihood of reentering unemployment. Special attention is paid to the endogeneity between unemployment and reemployment duration and the sample information contained in the fact that some individuals obtain reemployment by recall as opposed to acceptance of a new job. Copyright 1995 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 77 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Portugal, Pedro & Addison, John T., 2003.
"Six Ways to Leave Unemployment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
954, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christian Belzil, 2001.
"Unemployment Insurance and Subsequent Job Duration: Job Matching vs Unobserved Heterogeneity,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Belzil, Christian, 2000. "Unemployment Insurance and Subsequent Job Duration: Job Matching vs Unobserved Heterogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 116, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cockx, Bart & Picchio, Matteo, 2011.
"Scarring Effects of Remaining Unemployed for Long-Term Unemployed School-Leavers,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5937, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bart Cockx & Matteo Picchio, 2013. "Scarring effects of remaining unemployed for long-term unemployed school-leavers," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 176(4), pages 951-980, October.
- Bart COCKX & Matteo PICCHIO, 2011. "Scarring Effects of Remaining Unemployed for Long-Term Unemployed School-Leavers," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011032, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Bart Cockx & Matteo Picchio, 2011. "Scarring Effects of Remaining Unemployed for Long-Term Unemployed School-Leavers," CESifo Working Paper Series 3565, CESifo Group Munich.
- B. Cockx & M. Picchio, 2011. "Scarring Effects of Remaining Unemployed for Long-Term Unemployed School-Leavers," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/731, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Cockx, B. & Picchio, M., 2011. "Scarring Effects of Remaining Unemployed for Long-Term Unemployed School-Leavers," Discussion Paper 2011-094, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Peter Dolton; & Donal O'Neill, 1997. "The Long-Run Effects of Unemployment Monitoring and Work-Search Programs: Some Experimental Evidence from the U.K," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n710897, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Maite Blázquez, 2004.
"Youth Labour Market Integration In Spain: The Connection Between Search Time, Job Duration And Skill-Mismatch,"
Economics Working Papers
we042106, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Blázquez, Maite, . "Youth labour market integration in Spain: the connection between search time, job duration and skill-mismatch," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/315, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Mário Centeno, 2004.
"The Match Quality Gains from Unemployment Insurance,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(3).
- Mário Centeno, 2002. "The Match Quality Gains from Unemployment Insurance," Working Papers w200209, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Hendershott, Patric H. & Ong, Rachel & Wood, Gavin A. & Flatau, Paul, 2009. "Marital history and home ownership: Evidence from Australia," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 13-24, March.
- Launov, Andrey & Wolff, Joachim & Klasen, Stephan, 2004. "Unemployment Benefits and Unemployment Rates of Low-Skilled and Elder Workers in West Germany: A Search Equilibrium Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 1161, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yoko Moriizumi & Michio Naoi, 2008.
"Unemployment Risk and the Timing of Homeownership in Japan,"
Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series
2008-026, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Moriizumi, Yoko & Naoi, Michio, 2011. "Unemployment risk and the timing of homeownership in Japan," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 227-235, May.
- Christian Belzil, 2001. "Unemployment insurance and subsequent job duration: job matching versus unobserved heterogeneity," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 619-636.
- Bratberg, Espen & Nilsen, Øivind Anti, 1998. "Transition from School to Work: Search Time and Job Duration," IZA Discussion Papers 27, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gordon Wilkinson, 1997. "A Micro Approach to the Issue of Hysteresis in Unemployment: Evidence from the 19881990 Labour Market Activity Survey," Working Papers 97-12, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.