Measuring the Effect of Restructuring on Corporate Performance: The Case of Management Buyouts
AbstractRecent research has attempted to document that the financial gains associated with takeovers, LBOs, and other types of restructuring are attributable to subsequent improvements in operating performance. In this paper, the authors develop a more general framework for measuring the effect of corporate restructuring on performance and apply the framework to a sample of firms taken private by their management. They demonstrate that the estimation approaches employed in the literature embody restrictions on the general framework which the data can reject. However, the authors' best estimates provide evidence that management buyouts improve corporate performance, and the magnitudes of these improvements are similar to existing estimates. Copyright 1994 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 76 (1994)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T., 2005.
"Public-to-Private Transactions: LBOs, MBOs, MBIs and IBOs,"
2005-023, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Simons, T., 2005. "Public-to-Private Transactions: LBOs, MBOs, MBIs and IBOs," Discussion Paper 2005-98, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Van de Gucht, Linda M. & Moore, William T., 1998. "Predicting the duration and reversal probability of leveraged buyouts," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 299-315, October.
- Aurelie Sannajust, 2009. "Les motivations et la performance des opérations de retrait de la cote: une revue," Post-Print halshs-00521178, HAL.
- Cumming, Douglas & Siegel, Donald S. & Wright, Mike, 2007. "Private equity, leveraged buyouts and governance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 439-460, September.
- Gottschalg, Oliver & Berg, Achim, 2005. "Understanding value generation in buyouts," Les Cahiers de Recherche 824, HEC Paris.
- Elizabeth E. Bailey & Constance E. Helfat, 2003. "External management succession, human capital, and firm performance: an integrative analysis," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 347-369.
- Lori Holder-Webb & Thomas Lopez & Philip Regier, 2005. "The Performance Consequences of Operational Restructurings," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 25(4), pages 319-339, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.