Wage Bargaining with Endogenous Profits, Overtime Working and Heterogeneous Labor
AbstractThis paper estimates the role of insider power in wage determination in a unionized industry, examining the direction and magnitude of biases that may arise through failure to control for variation in both hours of work and the composition of the labor force and through failure to control for the endogeneity of measured profits. Furthermore, by examining the extent to which rent-sharing is related to exogenous demand shocks rather than to potentially endogenous productivity, the authors provide a test of the bargaining and pure efficiency wage models, finding that the majority of the insider weighting can be explained by the bargaining model. Copyright 1994 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 76 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
Other versions of this item:
- Steve Dowrick & Karen Mumford, 1990. "Wage Bargaining with Endogenous Profits, Overtime Working and Heterogeneous Labor," Working Papers 657, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- H43 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Project Evaluation; Social Discount Rate
- H44 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Publicly Provided Goods: Mixed Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elizabeth Webster & Yi-Ping Tseng, 2002.
"The Determinants of Relative Wage Change in Australia,"
Australian Economic Review,
The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 35(1), pages 70-84.
- Elizabeth Webster & Yi-Ping Tseng, 2000. "The Determinants of Relative Wage Change in Australia," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2000n23, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Margarita Katsimi & Sarantis Kalyvitis & Thomas Moutos, 2009. ""Unwarranted" Wage Changes and the Return on Capital," CESifo Working Paper Series 2804, CESifo Group Munich.
- Filipe Almeida-Santos & Karen Mumford, .
"Employee Training and Wage Compression in Britain,"
04/11, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Natália P. Monteiro & Miguel Portela & Odd Rune Straume, 2010.
"Firm ownership and rent sharing,"
NIPE Working Papers
13/2010, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Rod Tyers & Lucy Rees, 2008.
"Service Oligopolies and Australia's Economy-Wide Performance,"
ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics
2008-490, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Rod Tyers & Lucy Rees, 2008. "Service Oligopolies And Australia'S Economy-Wide Performance," CAMA Working Papers 2008-05, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Vesna Stavrevska, 2011. "The efficiency wages perspective to wage rigidity in the open economy: a survey," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 273-299, July.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Fumitoshi Mizutani, 2011. "Market Size and Vertical Structure in the Railway Industry," ISER Discussion Paper 0820, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Karen Mumford & Peter N. Smith, .
"Job Reallocation and Average Job Tenure: Theory and Workplace Evidence From Australia,"
00/01, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Karen Mumford & Peter N. Smith, . "Job Reallocation and Average Job Tenure: Theory and Workplace Evidence from Australia," Discussion Papers 96/46, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Frank Scharr, 2005. "Tarifbindung, Rententeilung und Konzessionsverträge als Einflussgrößen der Lohnhöhe in Unternehmen : eine Untersuchung mit Mikrodaten für thüringische Firmen," ifo Dresden Studien, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 39.
- Matsushima, Noriaki & Mizuno, Tomomichi, 2013.
"Vertical separation as a defense against strong suppliers,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 228(1), pages 208-216.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Tomomichi Mizuno, 2009. "Vertical Separation as a Defense against Strong Suppliers," ISER Discussion Paper 0755, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.