Exports, Margins and Productivity Growth: With an Application to the Canadian Softwood Lumber Industry
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to evaluate the allocative and dynamic efficiency of the Canadian softwood lumber industry by testing for the existence of price-cost margins and decomposing rates of total factor productivity (TFP) growth. A dynamic model of multiple output production and investment is developed in which output is sold domestically and exported. Price-cost margins are parametrized and estimated. The empirical results show that prices are equated to short-run marginal costs in domestic and export markets. TFP growth is decomposed into four elements; technological change, returns to sale, price-cost margins and capital adjustment. The empirical results show that, for the Canadian softwood lumber industry, TFP growth averaged 3 percent per year and the major contributing element was the rate of technological change. Copyright 1994 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 76 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steen, Frode & Salvanes, Kjell G., 1999.
"Testing for market power using a dynamic oligopoly model,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 147-177, February.
- Salvanes, K.G. & Steen, F., 1995. "Testing for Market Power Using a Dynamic OLigopoly Model," Papers 13/95, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Giannis Karagiannis & George Mergos, 2000. "Total Factor Productivity Growth and Technical Change in a Profit Function Framework," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 31-51, July.
- Francisco Requena Silvente, 2005. "Price discrimination and market power in export markets: The case of the ceramic tile industry," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 347-370, November.
- Rolf Färe & Giannis Karagiannis, 2014. "Radial and directional measures of the rate of technical change," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 112(2), pages 183-199, June.
- Centre for the Study of Living Standards, 2003. "Productivity in the Forest Products Sector: A Review of the Literature," CSLS Research Reports 2003-02a, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Asche, Frank & Steen, Frode, 2006. "When Anti-Dumping Measures Lead to Increased Market Power: A Case Study of the European Salmon Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 5781, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.