A Test of the Factor Endowments Model of Trade in a Rapidly Industrializing Country: The Case of Korea
AbstractThe authors perform a fully specified test of the Heckscher-Ohlin-Vanek (HOV) multifactor content theorem of international trade in the context of a rapidly industrializing economy, the Republic of Korea, in 1970 and 1980. The test involves a comparison of independent measures of relative factor endowments with endowment rankings revealed by Korea's international trade and total factor intensities. Interest arises in this effort because Korea's industrialization presents a new set of circumstances in which to test the Heckscher-Ohlin-Vanek theorem. The results strongly suggest that the revealed factor endowments departed significantly from actual factor supplies. The authors discuss potential reasons for this divergence. Copyright 1993 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 75 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Beatriz Muriel & Cristina Terra, 2009.
"Sources of Comparative Advantages in Brazil,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 15-27, 02.
- Muriel, Beatriz & Terra, Maria Cristina T., 2007. "Sources of Comparative Advantages in Brazil," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 658, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Beatriz Muriel & Cristina Terra, 2008. "Sources of Comparative Advantages in Brazil," THEMA Working Papers 2008-12, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Elio Londero, 2001. "Primary-input intensities under alternative measures of rent content," Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 429-450.
- Vermeulen, Philip, 2004. "Factor content, size, and export propensity at the firm level," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 249-252, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.