A Test of the Factor Endowments Model of Trade in a Rapidly Industrializing Country: The Case of Korea
AbstractThe authors perform a fully specified test of the Heckscher-Ohlin-Vanek (HOV) multifactor content theorem of international trade in the context of a rapidly industrializing economy, the Republic of Korea, in 1970 and 1980. The test involves a comparison of independent measures of relative factor endowments with endowment rankings revealed by Korea's international trade and total factor intensities. Interest arises in this effort because Korea's industrialization presents a new set of circumstances in which to test the Heckscher-Ohlin-Vanek theorem. The results strongly suggest that the revealed factor endowments departed significantly from actual factor supplies. The authors discuss potential reasons for this divergence. Copyright 1993 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 75 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vermeulen, Philip, 2004. "Factor content, size, and export propensity at the firm level," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 249-252, February.
- Beatriz Muriel & Cristina Terra, 2009.
"Sources of Comparative Advantages in Brazil,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 15-27, 02.
- Beatriz Muriel & Cristina Terra, 2008. "Sources of Comparative Advantages in Brazil," THEMA Working Papers 2008-12, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Muriel, Beatriz & Terra, Maria Cristina T., 2007. "Sources of Comparative Advantages in Brazil," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 658, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Elio Londero, 2001. "Primary-input intensities under alternative measures of rent content," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 429-450.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.