Functional Form in Regression Models of Tobin's q
AbstractThe Box-Cox transformation is used to compare alternative functional forms of market value equations. Based on evidence from a panel of 480 publicly-traded U.S. manufacturing companies and two additional data sets used previously in the literature, the semilog form of a Tobin's q equation is found to be strongly preferred to the commonly estimated linear form. The authors provide illustrations in which inferences can be affected by the choice of functional form. Copyright 1993 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 75 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shameek Konar & Mark A. Cohen, 2001. "Does The Market Value Environmental Performance?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 281-289, May.
- Philip Hersch & Jeffry Netter & Christopher Pope, 2008. "Do Campaign Contributions and Lobbying Expenditures by Firms Create “Political” Capital?," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 36(4), pages 395-405, December.
- Michael Devaney & William Weber, 2005. "Efficiency, Scale Economies, and the Risk/Return Performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 301-317, November.
- Ling Hui Tan & Carlos D. RamÃrez, 2003.
"Singapore, Inc. Versus the Private Sector: Are Government-Linked Companies Different?,"
IMF Working Papers
03/156, International Monetary Fund.
- Carlos D.Ramírez & Ling Hui Tan, 2004. "Singapore Inc. versus the Private Sector: Are Government-Linked Companies Different?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(3), pages 510-528, November.
- Sandner, Philipp G. & Block, Joern, 2011. "The market value of R&D, patents, and trademarks," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 969-985, September.
- Moses Acquaah & Tailan Chi, 2007. "A longitudinal analysis of the impact of firm resources and industry characteristics on firm-specific profitability," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 179-213, September.
- Iwata, Hiroki & Okada, Keisuke, 2010. "How does environmental performance affect financial performance? Evidence from Japanese manufacturing firms," MPRA Paper 27721, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andreas Ziegler, 2009.
"Is it Beneficial to be Included in a Sustainability Stock Index? A Panel Data Study for European Firms,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
09/121, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Andreas Ziegler, 2012. "Is it Beneficial to be Included in a Sustainability Stock Index? A Panel Data Study for European Firms," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 52(3), pages 301-325, July.
- Marcelo Bianconi & Liang Tan, 2009.
"Cross-listing Premium in the US and the UK Destination,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0737, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Bianconi, Marcelo & Tan, Liang, 2010. "Cross-listing premium in the US and the UK destination," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 244-259, April.
- Iwata, Hiroki & Okada, Keisuke, 2011. "How does environmental performance affect financial performance? Evidence from Japanese manufacturing firms," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(9), pages 1691-1700, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.