Export Incentives, Exchange Rate Policy and Export Growth in Turkey
AbstractThe driving forces behind the Turkish export miracle, and in fact its very existence, have remained a matter of debate. The authors show there was a boom. As to contributing factor s, import growth in the Middle East in excess of import growth elsewher e made a negative contribution. On exports to non-oil countries, the authors show that earlier claims that their growth was an accounting artifact are incorrect. Moreover, the authors find that export subsidies were mostly shifted backwards into higher producer profits. The export boom was triggered by macroeconomic policies and trade reform that allowed a steady real depreciation of the Turkish lira. Copyright 1993 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 75 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marc Auboin & Michele Ruta, 2012.
"The Relationship between Exchange Rates and International Trade: A Literature Review,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3868, CESifo Group Munich.
- Auboin, Marc & Ruta, Michele, 2013. "The relationship between exchange rates and international trade: a literature review," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 577-605, July.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Hacihasanoglu, Yavuz Selim, 2007.
"Investigation on the Determinants of Turkish Export-Boom in 2000s,"
5493, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Yavuz Selim Hacihasanoglu, 2007. "Investigation on the Determinants of Turkish Export-Boom in 2000s," Working Papers 2007/19, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Ritu Anand & Sweder van Wijnbergen, 1988. "Inflation, External Debt and Financial Sector Reform: A Quantitative Approach To Consistent Fiscal Policy With An Application to Turkey," NBER Working Papers 2731, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Freund, Caroline & Pierola, Martha Denisse, 2008. "Export surges : the oower of a competitive currency," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4750, The World Bank.
- Eggerstedt, Harald & Hall, Rebecca Brideau & Van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1995.
"Measuring capital flight: A case study of Mexico,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 211-232, February.
- Alvarez, Roberto, 2004. "Sources of export success in small- and medium-sized enterprises: the impact of public programs," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 383-400, June.
- Arize, Augustine C., 2002. "Imports and exports in 50 countries: Tests of cointegration and structural breaks," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 101-115, April.
- Mah, Jai S., 2006. "The effect of export insurance subsidy on export supply: The experience of Japan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 646-652, October.
- Freund, Caroline & Pierola, Martha Denisse, 2012. "Export surges," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 387-395.
- Jai S. Mah, 2003. "The Export Insurance System and Export Supply of Britain," Working papers 2003-44, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Enzo Cassino & David Oxley, 2013. "How Does the Exchange Rate Affect the Real Economy? A Literature Survey," Treasury Working Paper Series 13/26, New Zealand Treasury.
- Shabbir, Safia & Iqbal, Javed & Hameed, Saima, 2013. "Risk Premium, Interest Rate Differential, and Subsidized Lending in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 48250, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Secil Pacaci Elitok & Al Campbell, 2008. "The Balance of Payments as a Constraint on Turkey’s Growth: 1960-2004," Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, University of Utah 2008_13, University of Utah, Department of Economics.
- Mah, Jai S., 2007. "The effect of duty drawback on export promotion: The case of Korea," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 967-973, December.
- Evren Erdogan Cosar, 2002. "Price and Income Elasticities of Turkish Export Demand : A Panel Data Application," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 2(2), pages 19-53.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.