Export Incentives, Exchange Rate Policy and Export Growth in Turkey
AbstractThe driving forces behind the Turkish export miracle, and in fact its very existence, have remained a matter of debate. The authors show there was a boom. As to contributing factor s, import growth in the Middle East in excess of import growth elsewher e made a negative contribution. On exports to non-oil countries, the authors show that earlier claims that their growth was an accounting artifact are incorrect. Moreover, the authors find that export subsidies were mostly shifted backwards into higher producer profits. The export boom was triggered by macroeconomic policies and trade reform that allowed a steady real depreciation of the Turkish lira. Copyright 1993 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 75 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arize, Augustine C., 2002. "Imports and exports in 50 countries: Tests of cointegration and structural breaks," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 101-115, April.
- Ritu Anand & Sweder van Wijnbergen, 1988. "Inflation, External Debt and Financial Sector Reform: A Quantitative Approach To Consistent Fiscal Policy With An Application to Turkey," NBER Working Papers 2731, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc Auboin & Michele Ruta, 2012.
"The Relationship between Exchange Rates and International Trade: A Literature Review,"
CESifo Working Paper Series, CESifo Group Munich
3868, CESifo Group Munich.
- Auboin, Marc & Ruta, Michele, 2013. "The relationship between exchange rates and international trade: a literature review," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 577-605, July.
- Secil Pacaci Elitok & Al Campbell, 2008. "The Balance of Payments as a Constraint on Turkey’s Growth: 1960-2004," Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, University of Utah, University of Utah, Department of Economics 2008_13, University of Utah, Department of Economics.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Yavuz Selim Hacihasanoglu, 2007.
"Investigation on the Determinants of Turkish Export-Boom in 2000s,"
Working Papers, Bogazici University, Department of Economics
2007/19, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Hacihasanoglu, Yavuz Selim, 2007. "Investigation on the Determinants of Turkish Export-Boom in 2000s," MPRA Paper 5493, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kamil Yılmaz & Şule Özler & Erol Taymaz, 2007.
"History Matters for the Export Decision: Plant Level Evidence from Turkish Manufacturing Industry,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum
0706, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Özler, Sule & Taymaz, Erol & YIlmaz, Kamil, 2009. "History Matters for the Export Decision: Plant-Level Evidence from Turkish Manufacturing Industry," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 479-488, February.
- Sule Ozler & Erol Taymaz & Kamil Yilmaz, 2007. "History Matters for the Export Decision Plant Level Evidence from Turkish Manufacturing Industry," ERC Working Papers, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University 0704, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Mar 2007.
- Enzo Cassino & David Oxley, 2013. "How Does the Exchange Rate Affect the Real Economy? A Literature Survey," Treasury Working Paper Series, New Zealand Treasury 13/26, New Zealand Treasury.
- Shabbir, Safia & Iqbal, Javed & Hameed, Saima, 2013. "Risk Premium, Interest Rate Differential, and Subsidized Lending in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 48250, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mah, Jai S., 2006. "The effect of export insurance subsidy on export supply: The experience of Japan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 646-652, October.
- Eggerstedt, Harald & Brideau Hall, Rebecca & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1993.
"Measuring capital flight : a case study of Mexico,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank
1121, The World Bank.
- Mah, Jai S., 2007. "The effect of duty drawback on export promotion: The case of Korea," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 967-973, December.
- Freund, Caroline & Pierola, Martha Denisse, 2012. "Export surges," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 387-395.
- Alvarez, Roberto, 2004. "Sources of export success in small- and medium-sized enterprises: the impact of public programs," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 383-400, June.
- Evren Erdogan Cosar, 2002. "Price and Income Elasticities of Turkish Export Demand : A Panel Data Application," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 2(2), pages 19-53.
- Jai S. Mah, 2003. "The Export Insurance System and Export Supply of Britain," Working papers, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics 2003-44, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Freund, Caroline & Pierola, Martha Denisse, 2008. "Export surges : the oower of a competitive currency," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 4750, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.