Price Distortions and Resource-Use Efficiency in Indian Agriculture: A Restricted Profit Function Approach
AbstractThis paper develops a generalized profit function that incorporates price distortions resulting from imperfect market conditions, sociopolitical and institutional constraints, as well as technical and allocative inefficiency. The model is applied to test (1) the appropriateness of the neoclassical profit function and (2) the effect of education and farm size on allocative performance using farm-level data from Indian agriculture. Empirical results reject the neoclassical profit-maximization hypothesis based on market prices in favor of the general model with price distortions and, therefore, help to improve allocation of inputs and output. Farm size is found to reduce price distortions only for small farmers. Copyright 1992 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 74 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sipilainen, Timo & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2005. "Learning in Organic Farming An Application on Finnish Dairy Farms," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24493, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- S Rahman, 2002.
"Profit Efficiency Among Bangladeshi Rice Farmers,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0203, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Rahman, Sanzidur, 2003. "Profit Efficiency Among Bangladeshi Rice Farmers," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25898, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Raghbendra Jha & Hari K. Nagarajan & Subbarayan Prasanna, 2005. "Land Fragmentation and its Implications for Productivity: Evidence from Southern India," ASARC Working Papers 2005-01, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Ali, Farman & Parikh, Ashok & Shah, Mir Kalan, 1996. "Measurement of economic efficiency using the behavioral and stochastic cost frontier approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 271-287, June.
- Balint, Borbala & Sauer, Johannes, 2006. "Distorted Prices And Producer Efficiency - Romanian Maize," 46th Annual Conference, Giessen, Germany, October 4-6, 2006 14958, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Andersson, Camilla I.M. & Holmgren, Erik & MacGregor, James & Stage, Jesper, 2008. "Giving credit to the microlenders. Formal microlending, credit constraints and adverse selection: a case study of shrimp farmers in Bangladesh," Discussion Papers 37921, International Institute for Environment and Development, Environmental Economics Programme.
- Sauer, Johannes & Balint, Borbala, 2006. "Romanian Maize - Distorted Prices and Producer Efficiency," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21410, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ray, Subhash C. & Ghose, Arpita, 2014. "Production efficiency in Indian agriculture: An assessment of the post green revolution years," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 58-69.
- Thiam, Abdourahmane & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Rivas, Teodoro E., 2001. "Technical efficiency in developing country agriculture: a meta-analysis," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 235-243, September.
- Tai-Hsin Huang, 2000. "Estimating X-Efficiency in Taiwanese Banking Using a Translog Shadow Profit Function," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 225-245, November.
- Sumelius, John & Islam, K.M. Zahidul & Sipilainen, Timo, 2011. "Access to Microfinance: Does it Matter for Profit Efficiency Among Small Scale Rice Farmers in Bangladesh?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116067, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.