Buyer Structure and Seller Performance in U.S. Manufacturing Industries
AbstractThe relationship between performance and market structure is investigated, with particular emphasis on the organization of the market on the buyers' side and its effect on seller profit margins. Based on a sample of U.S. manufacturing industries that is stratified according to product group categories as well as degree of seller concentration, it is established that highly concentrated buyers exhibit significant power to impair profitability especially in oligopolistic consumer goods industries. The impact of countervailing power appears to be strong regardless of demand conditions. Copyright 1991 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 73 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kale, Jayant R. & Shahrur, Husayn, 2007. "Corporate capital structure and the characteristics of suppliers and customers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 321-365, February.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2012139 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hui, Kai Wai & Klasa, Sandy & Yeung, P. Eric, 2012. "Corporate suppliers and customers and accounting conservatism," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 115-135.
- Yukihiko Funaki & Harold Houba & Evgenia Motchenkova, 2012.
"Market Power in Bilateral Oligopoly Markets with Nonexpandable Infrastructures,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
12-139/II, Tinbergen Institute.
- Funaki, Y. & Houba, H.E.D. & Motchenkova, E., 2012. "Market Power in Bilateral Oligopoly Markets with Nonexpendable Infrastructure," Discussion Paper 2012-041, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Rungporn Roengpitya, 2008. "The Effects of Financial Deregulation on Bank Governance: The Panel Data Evidence of the 1990s," Working Papers 2008-08, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Shahrur, Husayn, 2005. "Industry structure and horizontal takeovers: Analysis of wealth effects on rivals, suppliers, and corporate customers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 61-98, April.
- Fotopoulos, Georgios & Spence, Nigel, 1999. "Net entry behaviour in Greek manufacturing: consumer, intermediate and capital goods industries," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(8), pages 1219-1230, November.
- Bhattacharyya, Sugato & Nain, Amrita, 2011. "Horizontal acquisitions and buying power: A product market analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 97-115, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.