Error Components in Grouped Data: Is It Ever Worth Weighting?
AbstractResearchers estimating models with grouped data typically weight each observation by the square root of group size assuming that the model error term in the individual data is independently and identically distributed so that the error in the grouped data is heteroskedastic with variance proportional to group size. I argue that individual error terms are likely to be correlated due to group specific error component so weighting by the square root of group size is inappropriate. Tests for the presence of group error components and methods for obtaining efficient estimates of the parameters and consistent estimates of their standard errors are presented. Copyright 1990 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 72 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Silva, Peri, 2003.
"Market Access for Sale: Latin America's Lobbying for US Tariff Preferences,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4077, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Silva, Peri, 2004. "Market access for sale : Latin America's lobbying for U.S. tariff preferences," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3198, The World Bank.
- Robert A Moffitt, 2000.
"Welfare Benefits and Female Headship in US Time Series,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
434, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Robert A. Moffitt, 2000. "Welfare Benefits and Female Headship in U.S. Time Series," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 373-377, May.
- R. A. Moffitt, . "Welfare Benefits and Female Headship in U.S. Time Series," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 1219-01, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Kim, Taeyoon & Brorsen, B. Wade & Kenkel, Philip L., 2008. "Estimation of Efficiency with the Stochastic Frontier Cost Function and Heteroscedasticity: A Monte Carlo Study," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6408, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pedro S. Martins & Gary Solon & Jonathan Thomas, 2010.
"Measuring What Employers Really Do about Entry Wages over the Business Cycle,"
NBER Working Papers
15767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martins, Pedro S. & Solon, Gary & Thomas, Jonathan P., 2010. "Measuring What Employers Really Do about Entry Wages over the Business Cycle," IZA Discussion Papers 4757, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olarreaga, Marcelo & Soloaga, Isidro & Winters, L. Alan, 1999. "What's Behind Mercosur's CET?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2310, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Esteban Sanroma Melendez & Raul Ramos Lobo, 2003. "Wage curves for Spain. Evidence from the family budget survey," Working Papers in Economics 101, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Cadot, Olivier & de Melo, Jaime & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2000. "The Protectionist Bias of Duty Drawbacks and the New Regionalism," CEPR Discussion Papers 2559, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Donggyun Shin & Gary Solon, 2007.
"New Evidence On Real Wage Cyclicality Within Employer-Employee Matches,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 54(5), pages 648-660, November.
- Donggyun Shin & Gary Solon, 2006. "New Evidence on Real Wage Cyclicality within Employer-Employee Matches," NBER Working Papers 12262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olarreaga, Marcelo & Soloaga, Isidro & Winters, Alan, 1999. "What's behind MERCOSUR's common external tariff?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2231, The World Bank.
- Kjetil Telle, 2012. "Monitoring and enforcement of environmental regulations. Lessons from a natural field experiment in Norway," Discussion Papers 680, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Caroline Danielson & Jacob Alex Klerman, 2006. "Why Did the Food Stamp Caseload Decline (and Rise)? Effects of Policies and the Economy," Working Papers 386, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Cadot, Olivier & de Melo, Jaime & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2001. "Can duty-drawbacks have a protectionist bias? Evidence from MERCOSUR," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2523, The World Bank.
- Madani, Dorsati & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2002. "Politically optimal tariffs : an application to Egypt," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2882, The World Bank.
- Jeffrey A. Groen, 2005. "Occupation-Specific Human Capital and Local Labor Markets," Working Papers 376, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.