Robust and Partially Adaptive Estimation of Regression Models
AbstractIt is well known that least squares estimates can be very sensitive to departures from normality. Various robust estimators, such as least absolute deviations, L(superscript "p") estimators or M-estimators provide possible alternatives to least squares when such departures occur. This paper applies a partially adaptive technique to estimate the parameters of William F. Sharpe's market model. This methodology is based on a generalized t-distribution and includes as special cases least squares, least absolute deviation, and L(superscript "p"), as well as some estimation procedures that have bounded and redescending influence functions. Coauthors are James B.McDonald, Ray D. Nelson, and Steven B. White. Copyright 1990 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 72 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steven Caudill & James Long, 2010. "Do former athletes make better managers? Evidence from a partially adaptive grouped-data regression model," Empirical Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 275-290, August.
- Stefan Mittnik & Marc Paolella & Svetlozar Rachev, 1998. "Unconditional and Conditional Distributional Models for the Nikkei Index," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 99-128, May.
- Grottke, Martin, 1999. "Generierung schiefer Verteilungen mittels Skalenparametersplittung," Discussion Papers, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Statistics and Econometrics 30/1999, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Statistics and Econometrics.
- Fong, Wai Mun, 1997. "Robust beta estimation: Some empirical evidence," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 167-186.
- Katherine G. Yewell & Steven B. Caudill & Franklin G. Mixon, Jr., 2014. "Referee Bias and Stoppage Time in Major League Soccer: A Partially Adaptive Approach," Econometrics, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(1), pages 1-19, February.
- James B. McDonald & Hieu Nguyen, 2012. "Heteroskedasticity and Distributional Assumptions in the Censored Regression Model," BYU Macroeconomics and Computational Laboratory Working Paper Series, Brigham Young University, Department of Economics, BYU Macroeconomics and Computational Laboratory 2012-09, Brigham Young University, Department of Economics, BYU Macroeconomics and Computational Laboratory.
- Usta, Ilhan & Kantar, Yeliz Mert, 2011. "On the performance of the flexible maximum entropy distributions within partially adaptive estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 2172-2182, June.
- Mikosch, Thomas & de Vries, Casper G., 2013. "Heavy tails of OLS," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 172(2), pages 205-221.
- Steven Caudill, 2012. "A partially adaptive estimator for the censored regression model based on a mixture of normal distributions," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 121-137, June.
- Arslan, Olcay, 2009. "Maximum likelihood parameter estimation for the multivariate skew-slash distribution," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 79(20), pages 2158-2165, October.
- Bönte, G., 1995. "Evaluierung adaptiver Hochrechnungsverfahren," Discussion Papers, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Statistics and Econometrics 05/1995, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Statistics and Econometrics.
- Luca Greco & Laura Ventura, 2006. "Bounded Estimation in the Presence of Nuisance Parameters," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 27-36, May.
- Olcay Arslan, 2010. "An alternative multivariate skew Laplace distribution: properties and estimation," Statistical Papers, Springer, Springer, vol. 51(4), pages 865-887, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.