The Inefficiency of Regulating a Competitive Industry: Productivity Gains in Trucking Following Reform
AbstractThis study confirms the higher productivity levels predicted by advocates of regulatory reform in trucking and shows that these gains have been substantial. Cost simulations suggest that, following a year of higher expenditures, efforts to remain competitive have yielded considerable cost savings that increase over time, from 1 percent in 1981 to 23 percent in 1984. The indirect effects of reform through the independent variables initially decrease costs, but later lead to higher costs. The cumulative effect has been a less than 1 percent increase in costs in 1980, becoming by 1984, a significant 16 percent productivity gain. Copyright 1990 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 72 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lewis, Justin, 2013. "Veiled Waters: Examining the Jones Act's Consumer Welfare Effect," MPRA Paper 51469, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carl Gaigne & Kristian Behrens, 2006.
"Density (dis)economies in transportation: revisiting the core-periphery model,"
AccessEcon, vol. 18(5), pages 1-7.
- BEHRENS, Kristian & GAIGNE, Carl, . "Density (dis)economies in transportation: revisiting the core-periphery model," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1944, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robert Gagné & Georges Dionne, 1996. "Progrès technique et croissance de la productivité : estimations sur un panel incomplet de firmes ayant des qualités de production différentes," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 126(5), pages 63-76.
- McCarthy, Patrick S, 1995. "The 1982 Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA): Implications of relaxed truck weight and size limits for highway safety," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 107-117, April.
- Behrens, Kristian & Gaigne, Carl & Ottaviano, Gianmarco I.P. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2006.
"How density economies in international transportation link the internal geography of trading partners,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 248-263, September.
- BEHRENS, Kristian & GAIGNE, Carl & OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco I.P. & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "How density economies in international transportation link the internal geography of trading partners," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1870, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Behrens, Kristian & Gaigné, Carl & Thisse, Jacques-François, 2007.
"Is the Regulation of the Transport Sector Always Detrimental to Consumers?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6185, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Behrens, Kristian & Carl Gaigne & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 2006. "Is the regulation of the transport sector always detrimental to consumers?," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-455, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Holmes, Thomas J. & Jr., James A. Schmitz, 2001. "A gain from trade: From unproductive to productive entrepreneurship," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 417-446, April.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1991.
"Productivity in the Transportation Sector,"
NBER Working Papers
3815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristian Behrens & Carl GaignÃ© & Jacques-FranÃ§ois Thisse, 2009. "Industry location and welfare when transport costs are endogenous," Working Papers 32349, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Osborne, Theresa & Pachon, Maria Claudia & Araya, Gonzalo Enrique, 2014. "What drives the high price of road freight transport in Central America ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6844, The World Bank.
- Behrens, Kristian & Gaigné, Carl & Thisse, Jacques-François, 2009. "Industry location and welfare when transport costs are endogenous," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 195-208, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.