Testing the Rationality of Inflation Forecasts from Survey Data: Another Look at the SRC Expected Price Change Data
AbstractThis paper develops a unified econometric approach for testing the rationality of expectations from survey data series. The paper employs the estimation techniques of Hansen (1982) and Eichenbaum, Hansen and Singleton (1982) to conduct tests of unbiasedness, efficiency and orthogonality for the SRC expected price change data. In contrast to the existing literature, the analysis takes careful account of serial correlation and conditional heteroskedasticity in the disturbance terms. The results do not reject the properties of unbiasedness, efficiency or othogonality for this survey data series. Copyright 1989 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 71 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lloyd B. Thomas, 1999. "Survey Measures of Expected U.S. Inflation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 125-144, Fall.
- Roberts, John M., 1997.
"Is inflation sticky?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 173-196, July.
- Silva Lopes, Artur, 1994.
"A "hipótese das expectativas racionais": teoria e realidade (uma visita guiada à literatura até 1992)
[The "rational expectations hypothesis": theory and reality (a guided to," MPRA Paper 9699, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Jul 2008.
- Del Negro, Marco & Eusepi, Stefano, 2011.
"Fitting observed inflation expectations,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 2105-2131.
- H Stekler & R A Fildes, 1999.
"The state of macroeconomic forecasting,"
539557, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Gerberding, Christina, 2001. "The information content of survey data on expected price developments for monetary policy," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2001,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ilek, David & Ilek, Alex, 2007. "The Information Content of Inflationary Expectations Derived from Bond Prices in Israel," MPRA Paper 4704, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Grant, Alan P. & Thomas, Lloyd B., 1999. "Inflationary expectations and rationality revisited," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 331-338, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.