Mixed Diffusion-Jump Process Modeling of Exchange Rate Movements
AbstractThis study demonstrates that the mixed diffusion-jump process is superior to the stable laws or a mixture of normals as a model of exchange rate changes for the British pound, French franc, and the We st German mark relative to the United States dollar. The parameter value s for the mixed diffusion-jump process are dependent on the monetary policy regime in force in the United States, with the estimates for the franc and mark being intertemporally similar but different from the pound. Copyright 1988 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 70 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David S. Bates, 1993. "Jumps and Stochastic Volatility: Exchange Rate Processes Implicit in thePHLX Deutschemark Options," NBER Working Papers 4596, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Backus & Silverio Foresi & Liuren Wu, 2002. "Accouting for Biases in Black-Scholes," Finance 0207008, EconWPA.
- Mauleon, Ignacio, 2003. "Financial densities in emerging markets: an application of the multivariate ES density," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 197-223, June.
- Ignacio Mauleon & Javier Perote, 2000. "Testing densities with financial data: an empirical comparison of the Edgeworth-Sargan density to the Student's t," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 225-239.
- Osler, Carol & Savaser, Tanseli, 2011.
"Extreme returns: The case of currencies,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2868-2880, November.
- Goswami, Gautam & Shrikhande, Milind M., 2001. "Economic exposure and debt financing choice," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 39-58, February.
- Charles Engel & Craig S. Hakkio, 1994.
"The Distribution of Exchange Rates in the EMS,"
NBER Working Papers
4834, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lin, Bing-Huei & Yeh, Shih-Kuo, 2000. "On the distribution and conditional heteroscedasticity in Taiwan stock prices," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 367-395, December.
- Francisco Venegas-Martinez & Ambrosio Ortiz-Ramírez & Francisco Ortiz-Arango, 2012. "Temporary stabilization: a Fréchet-Weibullextreme value distribution approach," EconoQuantum, Revista de Economia y Negocios, Universidad de Guadalajara, Centro Universitario de Ciencias Economico Administrativas, Departamento de Metodos Cuantitativos y Maestria en Economia., vol. 9(1), pages 35-55, Enero-Jun.
- Lin, Bing-Huei & Yeh, Shih-Kuo, 2001. "Estimation for factor models of term structure of interest rates with jumps: the case of the Taiwanese government bond market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 167-197, June.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Mougoue, Mbodja, 1996. "Cointegration among Asian currencies: Evidence of the increasing influence of the Japanese yen," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 291-308, September.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Lynda Khalaf & Maral Kichian & Sebastien Mcmahon, 2008.
"Forecasting commodity prices: GARCH, jumps, and mean reversion,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(4), pages 279-291.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Lynda Khalaf & Maral Kichian & Sebastien McMahon, 2006. "Forecasting Commodity Prices: GARCH, Jumps, and Mean Reversion," Working Papers 06-14, Bank of Canada.
- Das, Sanjiv Ranjan & Uppal, Raman, 2002.
"Systemic Risk and International Portfolio Choice,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3305, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernard Dumas & L. Peter Jennergren & Bertil Naslund, 1993.
"Realignment Risk and Currency Option Pricing in Target Zones,"
NBER Working Papers
4458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dumas, Bernard & Peter Jennergren, L. & Naslund, Bertil, 1995. "Realignment risk and currency option pricing in target zones," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1523-1544, October.
- Simon van Norden, 1995.
"Regime Switching as a Test for Exchange Rate Bubbles,"
9502001, EconWPA, revised 09 Aug 1995.
- van Norden, Simon, 1996. "Regime Switching as a Test for Exchange Rate Bubbles," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 219-51, May-June.
- Khalaf, Lynda & Saphores, Jean-Daniel & Bilodeau, Jean-Francois, 2003. "Simulation-based exact jump tests in models with conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 531-553, December.
- Chenyang Feng & Stephen D. Smith, 1997. "Jump risk, time-varying risk premia, and technical trading profits," Working Paper 97-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Lee, Yoonsuk & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2012. "Impacts of Permanent and Transitory Shocks on Optimal Length of Moving Average to Predict Wheat Basis," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 125001, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.