Labor-Tying in a Poor Agrarian Economy: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 98 (1983)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Macchiavello, Rocco & Morjaria, Ameet, 2013.
"The Value of Relationships: Evidence from a Supply Shock to Kenyan Rose Exports,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
1032, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Macchiavello, Rocco & Morjaria, Ameet, 2013. "The Value of Relationships: Evidence from a Supply Shock to Kenyan Rose Exports," CEPR Discussion Papers 9531, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schaffner, Julie Anderson, 1995. "Attached farm labor, limited horizons and servility," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 241-270, August.
- Caselli, Francesco, 1997. "Rural labor and credit markets," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 235-260, December.
- Espen Villanger, 2006. "Is bonded labor voluntary? A framework against forced work," CMI Working Papers WP 2006: 7, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Platteau, J.P., 1994.
"A Framework for the Analysis of Evolving Patron-Client Ties In Agrarian Economies,"
140, Notre-Dame de la Paix, Sciences Economiques et Sociales.
- Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 1995. "A framework for the analysis of evolving patron-client ties in agrarian economies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 767-786, May.
- Arnab Basu, 2013. "Impact of rural employment guarantee schemes on seasonal labor markets: optimum compensation and workers’ welfare," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 1-34, March.
- Stanley, Denise L., 2002. "Efficiency and equity tradeoffs: incentive-compatible contracts revisited," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 309-331, April.
- Genicot, Garance & Ray, Debraj, 2006. "Bargaining power and enforcement in credit markets," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 398-412, April.
- Selim Gulesci, 2012. "Labor-tying and poverty in a rural economy:evidence from bangladesh," Working Papers 460, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Espen Villanger, 2006. "Is Bonded Labor Voluntary? Evidence from the Liberation of the Kamaiyas in the Far-Western Region of Nepal," CMI Working Papers 16, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Sharma, Shiva & Quilkey, John J., 1991. "Labour Quality and Farm Labour Contracts," 1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia 146392, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Magnus Hatlebakk, 2006. "The effects of agrarian contracts of a governmental intervention into bonded labor in the western terai of Nepal," CMI Working Papers WP 2006: 6, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1995.
"Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1727, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Eggertsson, Thrainn, 1998. "Sources of Risk, Institutions for Survival, and a Game against Nature in Premodern Iceland," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Mukherjee, Anindita & Ray, Debraj, 1995.
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 207-239, August.
- Anindita Mukherjee & Debraj Ray, 1992. "Labor Tying," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 29, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Basu, Kaushik & Fields, Gary S. & Debgupta, Shub, 2007. "Labor Retrenchment Laws and their Effect on Wages and Employment: A Theoretical Investigation," IZA Discussion Papers 2742, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rose, Elaina, 2001. "Ex ante and ex post labor supply response to risk in a low-income area," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 371-388, April.
- Arnab K. Basu & Nancy H. Chau, 2004. "Exploitation of Child Labor and the Dynamics of Debt Bondage," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 209-238, 06.
- Genicot, Garance, 2002. "Bonded labor and serfdom: a paradox of voluntary choice," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 101-127, February.
- Basu, Kaushik & Fields, Gary S. & Debgupta, Shub, 2000. "Alternative Labor Retrenchment Laws and Their Effect on Wages and Employment: A Theoretical Investigation with Special Reference to Developing Countries," Working Papers 00-11, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.