Contractibility and Asset Ownership: On-board Computers and Governance in U. S. Trucking
AbstractWe investigate how contractual incompleteness affects asset ownership in trucking by examining cross-sectional patterns in truck ownership and how truck ownership has changed with the diffusion of on-board computers (OBCs). We find that driver ownership of trucks is greater for long than short hauls, and when hauls require equipment for which demands are unidirectional rather than bidirectional. We then find that driver ownership decreases with OBC adoption, particularly for longer hauls. These results are consistent with the hypothesis that truck ownership reflects trade-offs between driving incentives and bargaining costs, and indicate that improvements in the contracting environment have led to less independent contracting and larger firms. © 2004 MIT Press
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 119 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Guadalupe & Julie Wulf, 2008.
"The Flattening Firm and Product Market Competition: The Effect of Trade Liberalization,"
NBER Working Papers
14491, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maria Guadalupe & Julie M. Wulf, 2008. "The Flattening Firm and Product Market Competition: The Effect of Trade Liberalization," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-067, Harvard Business School.
- Sharon Novak & Scott Stern, 2007. "How Does Outsourcing Affect Performance Dynamics? Evidence from the Automobile Industry," NBER Working Papers 13235, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Natália Pimenta Monteiro & Geoff Stewart, 2013. "Scale, Scope and Survival: A Comparison of Cooperative and Capitalist Modes of Production," NIPE Working Papers 08/2013, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Sharon Novak & Scott Stern, 2007. "Complementarity Among Vertical Integration Decisions: Evidence from Automobile Product Development," NBER Working Papers 13232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick Legros & Andrew F. Newman, 2004.
"Competing for Ownership,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series
dp-148, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Legros, Patrick & Newman, Andrew, 2000. "Competing for Ownership," CEPR Discussion Papers 2573, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick Legros & Andrew F. Newman, 2007. "Competing for Ownership," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 07-02, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Patrick Legros & Andrew F. Newman, 2007. "Competing for Ownership," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2007-003, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Patrick Legros & Andrew Newman, 2008. "Competing for ownership," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7020, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2006083 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oliver Hart, 2013.
"Noncontractible Investments and Reference Points,"
MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 4(3), pages 437-456, August.
- Josh Lerner & Ulrike Malmendier, 2005.
"Contractibility and the Design of Research Agreements,"
NBER Working Papers
11292, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Josh Lerner & Ulrike Malmendier, 2010. "Contractibility and the Design of Research Agreements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 214-46, March.
- Josef Windsperger & Maria Jell, 2005. "Structuring residual income and decision rights under internal governance: results from the Hungarian trucking industry," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(5), pages 295-305.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.