Aggregate Price Indices, New Goods, and Generics
AbstractThis paper examines the appropriate treatment in the cost-of-living index of the appearance of new varieties of old goods. Existing theory here applies to individual households. Thus, the authors first show in what sense Laspeyres and Paasche indices for groups of households can be considered approximations to theoretically desirable group indices and then go on to the case of new goods. The authors apply their results to the case of the introduction of generics in pharmaceuticals and show that proper treatment can make a considerable difference. Copyright 1995, the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 110 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Julien Werle & Vincent Perrin & Edouard Martin & Stéphane Jacobzonne, 1997. "Une approche hedonique de la formation des prix des médicaments remboursables," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 129(3), pages 73-99.
- Ernst R. Berndt & David M. Cutler & Richard G. Frank & Zvi Griliches & Joseph P. Newhouse, 1998.
"Price Indexes for Medical Care Goods and Services: An Overview of Measurement Issues,"
NBER Working Papers
6817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & David M. Cutler & Richard Frank & Zvi Griliches & Joseph P. Newhouse & Jack E. Triplett, 2001. "Price Indexes for Medical Care Goods and Services -- An Overview of Measurement Issues," NBER Chapters, in: Medical Care Output and Productivity, pages 141-200 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & David M. Cutler & Richard G. Frank & Zvi Griliches & Joseph P. Newhouse & Jack E. Triplett, 1998. "Price Indexes for Medical Care Goods and Services: An Overview of Measurement Issues," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1851, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- David M. Cutler & Mark McClellan & Joseph P. Newhouse & Dahlia Remler, 1999.
"Pricing Heart Attack Treatments,"
NBER Working Papers
7089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Armstrong, Keir G., 2001.
"Microeconomic Foundations for the Theory of International Comparisons,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 585-605, December.
- Keir Armstrong, . "Microeconomic Foundations for the Theory of International Comparisons," Carleton Economic Papers 96-01, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Matthew D. Shapiro & David W. Wilcox, 1997.
"Mismeasurement in the Consumer Price Index: An Evaluation,"
NBER Working Papers
5590, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew D. Shapiro & David W. Wilcox, 1996. "Mismeasurement in the Consumer Price Index: An Evaluation," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1996, Volume 11, pages 93-154 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ana Aizcorbe & Nicole Nestoriak, 2010. "Price Indexes for Drugs: A Review of the Issues," BEA Working Papers 0050, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Charles R. Hulten, 1997. "Quality change in the CPI," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 87-100.
- Angus Deaton, 1998. "Getting Prices Right: What Should Be Done?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 37-46, Winter.
- Petit, Pascal & Soete, Luc, 2001. "Is a biased technological change fueling dualism?," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 0103, CEPREMAP.
- Leonard I. Nakamura, 2009. "Intangible assets and national income accounting: measuring a scientific revolution," Working Papers 09-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Joan Ramon Borrell Arque, 1997. "Prices of Medicines a Case-Study on the impact of the rate-of-return regulation in the United Kingdom," Working Papers in Economics 21, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Leonard I. Nakamura, 2008. "Intangible assets and national income accounting," Working Papers 08-23, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.