The Effects of Labor Unions on Employment, Wages, and Days of Operation: Coal Mining in West Virginia
AbstractThe authors present a framework for measuring the joint impact of labor unions on wages, employment, and days of work. Their particular application uses county level observations to measure the impact of unionism in West Virginia coal mining from 1897 to 1938. The widespread belief is that union-nonunion wage differentials in coal mining during this period were of the order of 50 percent or more. The authors' estimates are substantially less. They measure negligible differences in union-nonunion employment, while, in the 1920s, operating days in unionized mines were about 25 percent below those in nonunion mines. Copyright 1994, the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 109 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carlos Casacuberta & Gabriela Fachola & Nestor Gandelman, 2004.
"The Impact of Trade Liberalization on Employment, Capital, and Productivity Dynamics: Evidence from the Uruguayan Manufacturing Sector,"
Research Department Publications
3170, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Carlos Casacuberta & Gabriela Fachola & Nestor Gandelman, 2004. "The impact of trade liberalization on employment, capital, and productivity dynamics: evidence from the uruguayan manufacturing sector," Journal of Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 225-248.
- Adriana Cassoni & Steven G. Allen & Gaston J. Labadie, 2000. "Sindicatos y empleo en Uruguay," Research Department Publications 3093, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Jennifer Hunt, 1998.
"Post-Unification Wage Growth in East Germany,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
304, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Adriana Cassoni & Steven G. Allen & Gaston J. Labadie, 2004.
"Unions and Employment in Uruguay,"
in: Law and Employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean, pages 435-496
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adriana Cassoni, 1999. "Labour demand in Uruguay before and after re-unionisation," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0199, Department of Economics - dECON.
- John DiNardo & David S. Lee, 2002. "The Impact of Unionization on Establishment Closure: A Regression Discontinuity Analysis of Representation Elections," NBER Working Papers 8993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. Cassoni & G. Fachola & G. Labadie, 2001. "The impact of unions on the economic performance of firms," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1501, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Sigfrido Lee & Carmen Urizar H., 2003. "The Effects of Unions on Productivity: Evidence from Large Coffee Producers in Guatemala," Research Department Publications 3166, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- A. Cassoni & G. Labadie, 2001. "The outcome of different bargaining models: the effects on wages, employment and the employment mix," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1401, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Adriana Cassoni & Gaston J. Labadie & Gabriela Fachola, 2002. "The Economic Effects of Unions in Latin America: Their Impact on Wages and the Economic Performance of Firms in Uruguay," Research Department Publications 3159, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.