Vertical Control and Price versus Nonprice Competition
AbstractThis paper considers a manufacturer distributing a product through retailers who compete in price and service, which reduces the time it takes to purchase a good. The mix of these instruments that maximizes collective profit is determined by the tastes of consumers on the "product margin," whereas decentralized retailers consider as well the tastes of consumers on the interretai ler margins. Given search or travel costs, consumers with low time cost s are overrepresented on the interretailer margins. In considering customers on the wrong margin, retailers are, therefore, biased towa rd price competition. This distortion can be corrected with vertical restraints. Copyright 1993, the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 108 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Innes, Robert & Hamilton, Stephen F., 2006. "Naked slotting fees for vertical control of multi-product retail markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 303-318, March.
- Spiegel, Yossi & Yehezkel, Yaron, 2003. "Price and non-price restraints when retailers are vertically differentiated," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 923-947, September.
- Howard Marvel & James Peck, 2000. "Vertical Control, Retail Inventories & Product Variety," Working Papers 00-09, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Iida, Tetsuo, 2012. "Coordination of cooperative cost-reduction efforts in a supply chain partnership," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(2), pages 180-190.
- Wu, Cheng-Han, 2012. "Price and service competition between new and remanufactured products in a two-echelon supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 496-507.
- Moner-Colonques, Rafael, 2006. "The tradeoffs between retail service and exclusivity in distribution: Welfare and policy implications," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 241-261, June.
- Kenji, Matsui, 2011. "Resale price maintenance for supply chains distributing products with demand uncertainty," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 375-387, December.
- Frank Mathewson & Ralph Winter, 1998. "The Law and Economics of Resale Price Maintenance," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 57-84, April.
- Wang, Hao, 2004. "Resale price maintenance in an oligopoly with uncertain demand," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 389-411, March.
- Raskovich, Alexander, 2007. "Retail buyer power through steering," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 221-225, August.
- Yossef Spiegel & Yaron Yehezkel, 2000. "Price and Non-Price Restraints When Retailers are Vertically Differentiated," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1670, Econometric Society.
- Lewis Evans and Patrick Hughes, 2003. "Competition Policy in Small Distant Open Economies: Some Lessons from the Economics Literature," Treasury Working Paper Series 03/31, New Zealand Treasury.
- Yusong Wang & David Bell & V. Padmanabhan, 2009. "Manufacturer-owned retail stores," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 107-124, June.
- Hao Wang, 2005. "Retailer Heterogeneity, Intra-Brand Competition and Social Welfare," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 87-97, June.
- Ray, Saibal, 2005. "An integrated operations-marketing model for innovative products and services," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 327-345, March.
- Zenger, Hans, 2009. "Successive Monopolies with Endogenous Quality," MPRA Paper 15659, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kang, Yeongjae, 1996. "Unobservable Vertical Restraints and Interbrand Competition," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 136, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Hao Wang, 2001. "Resale Price Maintenance in an Oligopoly with Uncertain Demand," Working Papers 01-11, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.