Down and Out in North America: Recent Trends in Poverty Rates in the United States and Canada
AbstractThis paper examines why Canadian poverty rates fell relative to U.S. poverty rates during the periods 1970-79 and 1979-86. During the 1970s, the principal reason for declining Canadian poverty rates is higher economic growth. During the 1980s, however, differences in government transfer policy are the main cause of relative poverty change in the two countries. Virtually all of the 3.3 point fall in relative Canadian/U.S. poverty rates from 1979 to 1986 can be attributed to expansions in the Canadian transfer system and simultaneous contractions in U.S. transfers. Copyright 1992, the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 107 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bea Cantillon, 2010. "Disambiguating Lisbon. Growth, Employment and Social Inclusion in the Investment State," Working Papers 1007, Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy, University of Antwerp.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:9:y:2006:i:2:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baotai Wang & Ajit Dayanandan, 2006. "Unit Root Tests of Canadian Poverty Measures," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 9(2), pages 1-7.
- Glaeser, Edward L., 2005. "Inequality," Working Paper Series rwp05-056, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- John Myles & Feng Hou & Garnett Picot & Karen Myers, 2009. "The Demographic Foundations of Rising Employment and Earnings among Single Mothers in Canada and the United States, 1980–2000," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer, vol. 28(5), pages 693-720, October.
- Gundersen, Craig, 2005. "Are The Effects Of The Macroeconomy And Social Policies On Poverty Different In Rural America?," Working Papers 18909, Oregon State University, Rural Poverty Research Center (RPRC).
- Stephen Donald & David Green & Harry Paarsch, . "Differences in Earnings and Wage Distributions between Canada and the United States: An Application of a Semi-Parametric Estimator of Distribution Functions with Covariates," Working Papers _003, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive.
- Hou, Feng & Picot, Garnett & Myers, Karen & Myles, John, 2008. "The Demographic Foundations of Rising Employment and Earnings Among Single Mothers in Canada and the United States, 1980 to 2000," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2008305e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Mehanna, Rock-Antoine, 2004. "Poverty and economic development: not as direct as it may seem," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 217-228, April.
- Fuwa, Nobuhiko, 2003. "Pathways from Poverty toward Middle Class: Determinants of Socio-economic Class Mobility in the Rural Philippines," MPRA Paper 23690, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gary Burtless, 2003. "Has Widening Inequality Promoted or Retarded US Growth?," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 29(s1), pages 185-202, January.
- Lawrence F. Katz, 1998. "Commentary : the distribution of income in industrialized countries," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 33-48.
- Lin, Haixia, 2006. "Natural Amenities, Income Mix, and Endogenous Community Characteristics," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21263, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hou, Feng & Picot, Garnett & Myers, Karen & Myles, John, 2008. "Bases demographiques de la montee de l'emploi et des gains chez les meres seules au Canada et aux Etats-Unis, 1980 a 2000," Direction des etudes analytiques : documents de recherche 2008305f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- Sabelhaus, John & Schneider, Ulrike, 1997. "Measuring The Distribution Of Well-Being: Why Income and Consumption Give Different Answers," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-201, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.