Trade Inventories and (S, s)
AbstractThis paper presents empirical tests of the (S, s) model of inventory behavior using aggregate retail trade data. Estimation and testing are based on the probability distributions of inventories derived by A. Caplin (1985). The excess volatility of retailers' demand over their consumers' demand and the "forgetfulness" of inventories under (S, s) are emphasized. Test results indicate that the time-series properties of deliveries and sales are consistent with (S, s) and not a quadratic cost model. Finally, when autoregressions of inventories are given an (S, s) rather than a stock adjustment interpretation, traditional empirical problems such as low speeds of adjustment are explained. Copyright 1991, the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 106 (1991)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Donald S. Allen, 1994. "Why does inventory investment fluctuate so much during contractions?," Working Papers 1994-029, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Jan Willem Gunning and Remco Oostendorp, 1999.
"Inventories and risk in African manufacturing,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/1999-19, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Aubhik Khan & Julia Thomas, 2003.
"Inventories and the Business Cycle: An Equilibrium Analysis of (S,s) Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
10078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aubhik Khan & Julie K. Thomas, 2003. "Inventories and the business cycle: an equilibrium analysis of (S,s) policies," Staff Report 329, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Aubhik Khan & Julia K. Thomas, 2002. "Inventories and the business cycle: an equilibrium analysis of (S,s) policies," Working Papers 02-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Aubhik Khan & Julia K. Thomas, 2004. "Inventories and the business cycle: an equilibrium analysis of (S,s) policies," Working Papers 04-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Lai, Richard, 2005. "Bullwhip in a Spanish Shop," MPRA Paper 4758, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Louri, Helen, 1996. "Inventory investment in Greek manufacturing industry: Effects from participation in the European market," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-3), pages 47-54, August.
- Marcel Fafchamps Jan Willem Gunning & Remco Oostendorp, . "Inventories, Liquidity, and Contractual Risk in African Manufacturing," Working Papers 97020, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Egon Zakrajsek, 1997. "Retail inventories, internal finance, and aggregate fluctuations," Research Paper 9722, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.