The Cyclical Behavior of Strategic Inventories
AbstractThis paper presents a model in which inventories are used by a duopoly to deter deviations from an implicitly collusive arrangement. Higher inventories allow firms to punish cheaters more strongly and can thus help to maintain collusion. The authors show that when demand is high, the incentive to deviate increases so that increases in inventories may be optimal for the duopoly. This rationalizes the observed positive correlation between inventories and sales. In their empirical section, the authors show that, as their model predicts, this correlation is more important in concentrated industries. They also provide several examples where inventories have been a factor in cartel behavior. Copyright 1989, the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 104 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aray, Henry & Gardeazabal, Javier, 2005.
"Going Multinational under Exchange Rate Uncertainty,"
DFAEII Working Papers
2005-05, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Aray, Henry & Gardeazabal, Javier, 2010. "Going multinational under exchange rate uncertainty," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1171-1191, October.
- Henry Aray & Javier Gardeazabal, 2008. "Going Multinational under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," ThE Papers 08/19, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Johri, Alok, 2001. "Markups and the Seasonal Cycle," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 367-395, July.
- Kenneth D. West, 1993. "Inventory Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Margaret Levenstein, 1993. "Vertical Restraints in the Bromine Cartel: The Role of Distributors in Facilitating Collusion," NBER Historical Working Papers 0049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thille, H., 2002. "Inventions & Price Volatility in a Cournot Duopoly," Working Papers 2002-4, University of Guelph, Department of Economics.
- Pınar Keskinocak & Kasarin Chivatxaranukul & Paul M. Griffin, 2008. "Strategic inventory in capacitated supply chain procurement," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(1), pages 23-36.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1991.
"Why Do Countries and Industries with Large Seasonal Cycles Also Have Large Business Cycles?,"
NBER Working Papers
3635, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beaulieu, J Joseph & MacKie-Mason, Jeffrey K & Miron, Jeffrey A, 1992. "Why Do Countries and Industries with Large Seasonal Cycles also Have Large Business Cycles?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 621-56, May.
- Jean-Paul Chavas, 2008. "On Storage Behavior Under Imperfect Competition, with Application to the American Cheese Market," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 325-339, December.
- Fine, Charles H. & Pappu, Suguna., 1990. "Flexible manufacturing technology and product-market competition," Working papers 3135-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Biglaiser, Gary & Vettas, Nikolaos, 2004. "Dynamic Price Competition with Capacity Constraints and Strategic Buyers," CEPR Discussion Papers 4315, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tribó, Josep A., 2009.
"Firms’ stock market flotation: Effects on inventory policy,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/7441, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Tribó, Josep A., 2009. "Firms' stock market flotation: Effects on inventory policy," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 10-18, March.
- Thille, Henry, 2006. "Inventories, market structure, and price volatility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1081-1104, July.
- Obermaier, Robert, 2012. "German inventory to sales ratios 1971–2005—An empirical analysis of business practice," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 964-976.
- Kazuhiro Ohnishi, 2011. "A Quantity-Setting Mixed Duopoly with Inventory Investment as a Coordination Device," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 12(1), pages 109-119, May.
- Blazenko, George W. & Vandezande, Kirk, 2003. "Corporate holding of finished goods inventories," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 255-266.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.