Vertical Restraints in a Model of Vertical Differentiation
AbstractThe authors consider the case of a manufacturer who sells a homogeneous good to retailers who compe te in prices and "cum-sales" or "post-sales" services. They show that the optimal linear-price contract is inefficient from the point of view of the vertical structure and that simple forms of vertical r estraints, such as resale price maintenance and franchise fees, domin ate the optimal linear-price contract, but do not restore vertical ef ficiency. Their analysis is concluded with the description of an effi cient contract. Copyright 1988, the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 103 (1988)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tian Xia & Richard Sexton, 2010. "Brand or Variety Choices and Periodic Sales as Substitute Instruments for Monopoly Price Discrimination," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 333-349, June.
- Oana Secrieru, 2004. "The Economic Theory of Retail Pricing: A Survey," Working Papers 04-8, Bank of Canada.
- Yossef Spiegel & Yaron Yehezkel, 2000. "Price and Non-Price Restraints When Retailers are Vertically Differentiated," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1670, Econometric Society.
- Uwe Dulleck & Rudolf Kerschbamer, 2007.
"Experts vs. Discounters: Consumer Free Riding and Experts Withholding Advice in Markets for Credence Goods,"
2007-21, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Dulleck, Uwe & Kerschbamer, Rudolf, 2009. "Experts vs. discounters: Consumer free-riding and experts withholding advice in markets for credence goods," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 15-23, January.
- Uwe Dulleck & Rudolf Kerschbamer, 2005. "Experts vs. discounters: consumer free riding and experts withholding advice in markets for credence goods," Economics working papers 2005-09, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Frank Mathewson & Ralph Winter, 1998. "The Law and Economics of Resale Price Maintenance," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 57-84, April.
- Hsiu-Li Chen, 2009. "Gray Marketing: Does It Hurt the Manufacturers?," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 37(1), pages 23-35, March.
- Kenji, Matsui, 2011. "Resale price maintenance for supply chains distributing products with demand uncertainty," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 375-387, December.
- Spiegel, Yossi & Yehezkel, Yaron, 2003. "Price and non-price restraints when retailers are vertically differentiated," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 923-947, September.
- Hamilton, Stephen F. & Innes, Robert, 2006.
"Vertical Restraints and Horizontal Control,"
2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA
21424, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hsiu-Li Chen, 2002. "Gray marketing and unfair competition," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 30(2), pages 196-204, June.
- Dulleck, Uwe & Kerschbamer, Rudolf, 2005. "Experts vs Discounters: Competition and Market Unravelling When Consumers Do Not Know What they Need," CEPR Discussion Papers 5242, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Moner-Colonques, Rafael, 2006. "The tradeoffs between retail service and exclusivity in distribution: Welfare and policy implications," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 241-261, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.