Rational Rationing in Stackelberg Equilibria
AbstractIn the Contect of Duopoly Theory with Differentiated Products, Economic Theorists Usually Consider the Price As the Choice Variable for the Firms. Given the Prices, the Respective Quantities Demanded and Profits Can Be Computed. in This Paper, We Consider Strategy Spaces Consisting of Both Price and Production Variables. Two Models Are Developped: in One Model, the Firm Will Choose Its Price and the Number of Consumers It Will Serve (A Serving Capacity) While, in the Other Model, It Will Choose the Price and the Total Quantity It Will Produce (A Production Capacity). We Are Particularly Concerned in This Paper with the Existence of Endogenously-Determined Rationing in a Leader-Follower Duopoly Framework. We Show That Rationing Is Always (May Be) Present in Equilibrium When Strategies Are Expressed in Terms of the Price and the Production (Serving) Capacity. Moreover, Only the Leader Or First-Mover Will Or May Engage in Rationing. Rationing Appears Therefore As a Strategic Variable. What May Appear As a Fixed Price Equilibrium Or a Disequilibrium Turns Out in This Case to Be a Strategic Equilibrium with Completely Flexible Prices. an Example Is Worked Out.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 103 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Boyer, Marcel & Lasserre, Pierre & Moreaux, Michel, 2012.
"A dynamic duopoly investment game without commitment under uncertain market expansion,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 663-681.
- Marcel Boyer & Pierre Lasserre & Michel Moreaux, 2011. "A Dynamic Duopoly Investment Game without Commitment under Uncertain Market Expansion," CIRANO Working Papers 2011s-65, CIRANO.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Väänänen, Lotta, 2004. "Could Mr. and Mrs. Capital Market Imperfection Please Step Forward? An Empirical Analysis of Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard in Capital Markets," Discussion Papers 887, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Enrico Pennings, 2001. "Price or quantity setting under uncertain demand and capacity constraints: An examination of the profits," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 74(2), pages 157-171, June.
- Boyer, Marcel & Moreaux, Michel, 1989.
"Rationnement endogène et structure de marché,"
Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 65(1), pages 119-145, mars.
- Boyer, M. & Moreaux, M., 1989. "Rationnement Endogene Et Structure De Marche," Cahiers de recherche 8907, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Boyer, M. & Moreaux, M., 1989. "Rationnement Endogene et Structure de Marche," Cahiers de recherche 8907, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Marcel Boyer & Pierre Lasserre & Thomas Mariotti & Michel Moreaux, 2000. "Preemption and Rent Dissipation with Multiple Investments," CIRANO Working Papers 2000s-06, CIRANO.
- Shakun Datta Mago & Emmanuel Dechenaux, 2009. "Price leadership and firm size asymmetry: an experimental analysis," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 289-317, September.
- Dechenaux, Emmanuel & Kovenock, Dan, 2003.
"Endogenous Rationing, Price Dispersion, and Collusion in Capacity Constrained Supergames,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1164, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Emmanuel Dechenaux & Dan Kovenock, 2011. "Endogenous rationing, price dispersion and collusion in capacity constrained supergames," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 29-74, May.
- Marcel Boyer & Pierre Lasserre & Thomas Mariotti & Michel Moreaux, 2001. "Preemption and Rent Dissipation under Bertrand Competition," Cahiers de recherche du DÃ©partement des sciences Ã©conomiques, UQAM 20-04, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.