Real Balances, the Exchange Rate, and Indexation: Real Variables in Disinflation
AbstractThis paper shows first that real exchange-rate appreciation typically reduces, but may increase, the output cos ts of disinflation. The direct favorable effects of cheaper imports o n consumer prices, on the prices of imported inputs, on wage demands, and on the demand for money may be outweighed by the unemployment ca used by the trade deficit. Second, the effects of wage indexation on the costs of disinflation are reexamined. Ex ante indexation speeds u p disinflation. Ex post indexation, the type observed in practice, au tomatically increases the real wage at the start of a disinflation an d may therefore increase the sacrifice ratio. Copyright 1988, the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 103 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marc Hofstetter, 2004.
"Disinflations in Latin America and the Caribbean: A Free Lunch?,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
506, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Hofstetter, Marc, 2008. "Disinflations in Latin America and the Caribbean: A free lunch?," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 327-345, March.
- Marc Hofstetter, 2006. "Disinflations In Latin America And The Caribbean: A Free Lunch?," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002375, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont, 1991.
"Stopping High Inflation: An Analytical Overview,"
IMF Working Papers
91/107, International Monetary Fund.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1999.
"Inflation stabilization and bop crises in developing countries,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 24, pages 1531-1614
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carlos A. Vegh, 1999. "Inflation Stabilization and BOP Crises in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 6925, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Solimano, Andres, 1991. "Chile's experience with stabilization, revisited," Policy Research Working Paper Series 579, The World Bank.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2002.
"Does the Current Account Matter?,"
in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 21-76
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vittorio Corbo & Stanley Fischer, . "Lessons from the Chilean Stabilization and Recovery," Documentos de Trabajo 158, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 1995. "A simple model of disinflation and the optimality of doing nothing," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1385-1404, August.
- Federico Echenique & Alvaro Forteza, 2000.
"Are stabilization programs expansionary?,"
El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 15(1), pages 65-89.
- Federico Echenique & Alvaro Forteza, 1997. "Are Stabilization Programs Expansionary?," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0497, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Federico Echenique & Alvaro Forteza, 1996. "Are stabilization programs expansionary?," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0196, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Vittorio Corbo, . "Reducing Inflation. The Chilean Experience," Documentos de Trabajo 185, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Vittorio Corbo, 1998. "Reaching One-Digit Inflation: The Chilean Experience," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 123-163, November.
- Esteban Jadresic, 1998. "The Macroeconomic Consequences of Wage Indexation Revisited," IMF Working Papers 98/15, International Monetary Fund.
- Marek Dabrowski, 2002. "Currency Crises in Emerging - Market Economis: Causes, Consequences and Policy Lessons," CASE Network Reports 0051, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Usman A. Afridi & Rehana Siddiqui, 1994. "Framework for Deriving Real Exchange Rates," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 33(4), pages 1099-1112.
- M. Ali Choudhary & Saima Mahmood & Sajawal Khan & Waqas Ahmed & Gylfi Zoega, 2013. "Sticky Wages in a Developing Country: Lessons from Structured Interviews in Pakistan," School of Economics Discussion Papers 0213, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2004. "Thirty Years of Current Account Imbalances, Current Account Reversals and Sudden Stops," NBER Working Papers 10276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.