A Many-Country, Many-Good Model of Labor Market Rigidities as a Source of Comparative Advantage
AbstractWe extend the theoretical framework in Cuñat and Melitz (2007) to a many-country setup where countries exhibit different degrees of labor market flexibility. We rely on the insights from a recent paper by Costinot (2009) to obtain precise predictions about comparative advantage in this setting: countries with more flexible labor markets specialize in more volatile industries. (JEL: F1, F16) (c) 2010 by the European Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Journal of the European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 8 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (04-05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tang, Heiwai, 2012.
"Labor market institutions, firm-specific skills, and trade patterns,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 337-351.
- Heiwai Tang, 2010. "Labor Market Institutions, Firm-specific Skills, and Trade Patterns," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0755, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Heiwai Tang, 2010. "Labor Market Institutions, Firm-specific Skills, and Trade Patterns," Development Working Papers 301, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Alexandre Janiak & Etienne Wasmer, 2012. "EPL and capital-labor ratios," Documentos de Trabajo 288, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Peters, Heiko & Weigert, Benjamin, 2011. "Beschäftigungsentwicklung innerhalb multinationaler Unternehmen während der globalen Rezession 2008/2009," Working Papers 04/2011, German Council of Economic Experts / Sachverständigenrat zur Begutachtung der gesamtwirtschaftlichen Entwicklung.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel J. & Larch, Mario & Lechthaler, Wolfgang, 2012.
"Endogenous labor market institutions in an open economy,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 30-45.
- Gabriel Felbermayr & Mario Larch & Lechthaler Wolfgang, 2011. "Endogenous Labor Market Insitutions in an Open Economy," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 108, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.