Alfred Marshall Lecture Women, Work, and Culture
AbstractThis paper discusses some recent advances in the area of culture and economics and examines the effect of culture on a key economic outcome: female labor supply. To separate the effect of market variables and institutions from culture, I use an epidemiological approach, studying second-generation American women. I use both female labor force participation (LFP) and attitudes inthe women's country of ancestry as cultural proxies and show that both cultural proxies have quantitatively significant effects on women's work outcomes. The paper concludes with some suggestions for future empirical and theoretical research topics in this area. (JEL: J13, J21, Z10) (c) 2007 by the European Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Journal of the European Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 5 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (04-05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/jeea
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J13 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Fertility; Family Planning; Child Care; Children; Youth
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- Z10 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alberto Alesina & Paola Giuliano & Nathan Nunn, 2011.
"Fertility and the Plough,"
NBER Working Papers
16718, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baudin, Thomas, 2010.
"A Role For Cultural Transmission In Fertility Transitions,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(04), pages 454-481, September.
- Thomas Baudin, 2007. "A Role for Cultural Transmission in Fertility Transitions," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00159595, HAL.
- BAUDIN, Thomas, . "A role for cultural transmission in fertility transitions," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2252, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Thomas Baudin, 2007. "A role for cultural transmission in fertility transitions," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne v07032, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Moschion, Julie & Tabasso, Domenico, 2013.
"Trust of Second Generation Immigrants: Intergenerational Transmission or Cultural Assimilation?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7203, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Julie Moschion & Domenico Tabasso, 2013. "Trust of Second Generation Immigrants: Intergenerational Transmission or Cultural Assimilation?," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2013n02, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Victor Hiller, 2008. "Gender Inequality, Endogenous Cultural Norms and Economic Development," Post-Print halshs-00344793, HAL.
- Olivetti, Claudia & Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2013.
"Mothers, Friends and Gender Identity,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7704, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rainald Borck, 2011. "Adieu Rabenmutter - The Effect of Culture on Fertility, Female Labour Supply, the Gender Wage Gap and Childcare," CESifo Working Paper Series 3337, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hodler, Roland, 2008. "Leisure and redistribution," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 354-363, June.
- Simon Janssen & Simone N. Tuor Sartore & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2013. "Social Attitudes on Gender Equality and Firms' Discriminatory Pay-Setting," Working Papers 327, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Silvia A. M. Camussi, 2013. "Female labour market participation and cultural variables," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 178, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Kelly Ragan, 2012. "Sex and the Single Girl: The Role of Culture in Contraception Demand," 2012 Meeting Papers 846, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Johnston, David W. & Schurer, Stefanie & Shields, Michael A., 2012. "Maternal Gender Role Attitudes, Human Capital Investment, and Labour Supply of Sons and Daughters," IZA Discussion Papers 6656, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gine, Xavier & Mansuri, Ghazala, 2011. "Together we will : experimental evidence on female voting behavior in Pakistan," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5692, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.