Financial Market Integration in East Asia: Regional or Global?
AbstractThis paper investigates whether financial markets in East Asia are integrated with global markets or with each other.We use two approaches: a volume-based approach and an asset price approach. Our overall results suggest global integration of these markets rather than regional integration and that there is no anchor market in the region that would match the advanced markets such as the United States. Though global integration is not a force that competes with regional integration, there seems to be no strong sign of the creation of an effective financial market mechanism in East Asia. (c) 2006 The Earth Institute at Columbia University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Asian Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 5 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- George M. von Furstenberg, 2007. "Aspects, Models and Measures for Assessing the Competitiveness of International Financial Services in a Particular Location," Working Papers 182007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2008. "Assessing the integration of Asia's equity and bond markets," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Regional financial integration in Asia: present and future, volume 42, pages 1-37 Bank for International Settlements.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2008. "Integration of India's stock market with global and major regional markets," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Regional financial integration in Asia: present and future, volume 42, pages 202-236 Bank for International Settlements.
- Kim, Soyoung & Lee, Jong-Wha & Shin, Kwanho, 2006.
"Regional and Global Financial Integration in East Asia,"
695, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soyoung Kim & Jong-Wha Lee & Kwanho Shin, 2006. "Regional and Global Financial Integration in East Asia," Discussion Paper Series 0602, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Hideaki Hirata & Keisuke Otsu, 2011.
"Accounting for the economic relationship between Japan and the Asian Tigers,"
164496, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Hideaki Hirata & Keisuke Otsu, 2011. "Accounting for the economic relationship between Japan and the Asian Tigers," Studies in Economics 1120, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Claus, Edda & Lucey, Brian M., 2012. "Equity market integration in the Asia Pacific region: Evidence from discount factors," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 137-163.
- Bank for International Settlements & Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research, 2008. "Regional financial integration in Asia: present and future," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 42, May.
- Hiroshi Fujiki & Akiko Terada-Hagiwara, 2007.
"Financial Integration in East Asia,"
Monetary and Economic Studies,
Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 25(S1), pages 57-100, December.
- Hiroshi Fujiki & nd Akiko Terada-Hagiwara, 2007. "Financial Integration in East Asia," IMES Discussion Paper Series 07-E-12, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Hiroshi Fujiki & Akiko Terada-Hagiwara, 2007. "Financial integration in East Asia," Working Paper Series 2007-30, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Wang, Jianxin, 2013. "Liquidity commonality among Asian equity markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1209-1231.
- Dewandaru, Ginanjar & Alaoui, Abdelkader & Masih, A. Mansur M. & Alhabshi, Syed Othman, 2013. "Comovement and resiliency of Islamic equity market: Evidence from GCC Islamic equity index based on wavelet analysis," MPRA Paper 56980, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yu, Ip-Wing & Fung, Kang-Por & Tam, Chi-Sang, 2010. "Assessing financial market integration in Asia - Equity markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2874-2885, December.
- Joyce Hsieh & Chien-Chung Nieh, 2010. "An overview of Asian equity markets," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 24(2), pages 19-51, November.
- Shin, Kwanho & Yang, Doo Yong, 2006. "Complementarity between Bilateral Trade and Financial Integration," MPRA Paper 694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George von Furstenberg, 2007.
"Assessing the Competitiveness of International Financial Services in Particular Locations: A Survey of Methods and Perspectives,"
Caepr Working Papers
2007-024, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- George Furstenberg, 2008. "Assessing the Competitiveness of International Financial Services in Particular Locations: A Survey of Methods and Perspectives," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 539-556, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.