Traffic Risk Mitigation in Highway Concession Projects: The Experience of Chile
AbstractTraffic risk mitigation remains a challenging aspect of highway concessions. This paper evaluates three mechanisms applied in Chile to mitigate traffic risk: the 'Minimum Income Guarantee' (MIG); the 'Least Present Value of the Revenues' (LPVR); and the 'Revenue Distribution Mechanism' (RDM). Specifically, the paper focuses on the performance of LPVR and MIG during the economic recession that took place between 1998 and 2002. In the context of this recession, the paper explains the reasons that led the government to implement the RDM mechanism. The paper gives some guidelines about the applicability of these mechanisms in other countries, highlights the beneficial features of LPVR in reducing traffic risk and avoiding concession contract renegotiations, and finally provides some recommendations as to how to make LPVR more attractive to private promoters. © 2006 LSE and the University of Bath
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and University of Bath in its journal Journal of Transport Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 40 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-journals/jtep
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Iseki, Hiroyuki & Houtman, Rebecca, 2012. "Evaluation of progress in contractual terms: Two case studies of recent DBFO PPP projects in North America," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 73-84.
- Alexander Moore & Stéphane Straub & Jean-Jacques Dethier, 2014.
"Regulation, renegotiation and capital structure: theory and evidence from Latin American transport concessions,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 209-232, April.
- Moore, Alexander & Straub, Stephane & Dethier, Jean-Jacques, 2013. "Regulation, renegotiation and capital structure : theory and evidence from Latin American transport concessions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6646, The World Bank.
- Viegas, José M., 2010. "Questioning the need for full amortization in PPP contracts for transport Infrastructure," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 139-144.
- Diego Aycinena & Rimvydas Baltaduonis & Lucas Rentschler, 2014. "Valuation structure in first-price and least-revenue auctions: an experimental investigation," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 100-128, March.
- Tan, Zhijia & Yang, Hai, 2012. "Flexible build-operate-transfer contracts for road franchising under demand uncertainty," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1419-1439.
- Vassallo, José Manuel, 2010. "The role of the discount rate in tendering highway concessions under the LPVR approach," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(10), pages 806-814, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.