Urban Congestion Charging: A Second-Best Alternative
AbstractCordon tolls are simulated for eight English towns. The distributional effects and environmental impacts are assessed. Although distributional effects vary across towns, environmental impacts are positive in all cases. Benefits are compared to those that would accrue from first-best charges. It is concluded that cordon tolls perform relatively well. © 2004 LSE and the University of Bath
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and University of Bath in its journal Journal of Transport Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-journals/jtep
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ian W.H. Parry, 2011. "Reforming the Tax System to Promote Environmental Objectives," IMF Working Papers 11/124, International Monetary Fund.
- Safirova, Elena A. & Houde, Sébastien & Lipman, D. Abram & Harrington, Winston & Bagliano, Andrew D., 2006. "Congestion Pricing: Long-Term Economic and Land-Use Effects," Discussion Papers dp-06-37, Resources For the Future.
- Cerruti, Davide, 2013. "No free polluting anymore: The impact of a vehicle pollution charge on air quality," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150575, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Maruyama, Takuya & Sumalee, Agachai, 2007. "Efficiency and equity comparison of cordon- and area-based road pricing schemes using a trip-chain equilibrium model," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 655-671, August.
- Daniel Albalate & Germa Bel, 2008. "Motorways, tolls and road safety.Evidence from European Panel Data," IREA Working Papers 200802, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Feb 2008.
- Safirova, Elena & Gillingham, Kenneth & Houde, Sébastien, 2007.
"Measuring marginal congestion costs of urban transportation: Do networks matter?,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 734-749, October.
- Safirova, Elena & Gillingham, Kenneth, 2003. "Measuring Marginal Congestion Costs of Urban Transportation: Do Networks Matter?," Discussion Papers dp-03-56, Resources For the Future.
- Safirova, Elena A. & Houde, Sébastien & Coleman, Conrad T. & Harrington, Winston & Lipman, D. Abram, 2006. "Long-Term Consequences of Congestion Pricing: A Small Cordon in the Hand Is Worth Two in the Bush," Discussion Papers dp-06-42, Resources For the Future.
- Parry, Ian W.H., 2012.
"Reforming the tax system to promote environmental objectives: An application to Mauritius,"
Elsevier, vol. 77(C), pages 103-112.
- Parry, Ian W.H., 2011. "Reforming the Tax System to Promote Environmental Objectives: An Application to Mauritius," Discussion Papers dp-11-20, Resources For the Future.
- Santos, Georgina & Behrendt, Hannah & Teytelboym, Alexander, 2010. "Part II: Policy instruments for sustainable road transport," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 46-91.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.