Private Financing of Transport Infrastructure: An Assessment of the UK Experience
AbstractThis paper investigates the consequence of the private sector's involvement in the realisation of transport infrastructure projects, since 1992, when the UK government launched the Private Finance Initiative (PFI). This new form of providing infrastructure services is based on a concession scheme by which the public authority transfers the design, construction, operation, and financing of the infrastructure to a private concessionaire. The private sector participation transforms the role of the public sector from being an owner of capital assets and direct provider of services into a purchaser of services through a long-term agreement. The PFI scheme is expected to generate different benefits. The magnitude of these benefits is expected to compensate the additional costs of having recourse to the private sector. © The London School of Economics and the University of Bath 2002
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and University of Bath in its journal Journal of Transport Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 36 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-journals/jtep
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Laurino, Antonio & Beria, Paolo & Grimaldi, Raffaele, 2010. "Financing transport infrastrucure projects in Italy: a critical analysis of the main approaches," MPRA Paper 29140, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Valila, Timo, 2005. "How expensive are cost savings? On the economics of public-private partnerships," EIB Papers 4/2005, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Rangel, Thais & Vassallo, José Manuel & Arenas, Blanca, 2012. "Effectiveness of safety-based incentives in Public Private Partnerships: Evidence from the case of Spain," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(8), pages 1166-1176.
- Athena Roumboutsos, 2010. "Sustainability, Social Discount Rates and the Selection of Project Procurement Method," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 165-174, May.
- Weiß, Hans-Jörg, 2005. "Die Probleme des ÖPNV aus netzökonomischer Sicht," Discussion Papers 110, University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy.
- Weiß, Hans-Jörg, 2007. "Problemfelder staatlicher Infrastrukturpolitik nach einer Marktöffnung: Eine wettbewerbsökonomische Perspektive," Forschungs- und Sitzungsberichte der ARL: Aufsätze, in: Wandel der Stromversorgung und räumliche Politik, pages 68-82 Akademie für Raumforschung und Landesplanung (ARL) - Leibniz-Forum für Raumwissenschaften.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.