Transport and Location Effects of Road Pricing: A Simulation Approach
AbstractThe effects of road pricing on transport and location patterns have been much discussed. However, it is unclear how large the effects are, and whether relocation of households, workplaces and shops will counteract or amplify the effects on transport. In this paper a model of a generic symmetric city is developed. The model is used to investigate the effects of road pricing in the form of congestion pricing and a toll ring. The results indicate that the impacts on location are small compared to the impacts on traffic volumes, modal split, and trip distances. The different effects of congestion pricing and toll rings at different positions are considered. © The London School of Economics and the University of Bath 2001
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and University of Bath in its journal Journal of Transport Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 35 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-journals/jtep
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ninette Pilegaard & Morten Marott Larsen & Jos Van Ommeren, 2005. "Congestion and Residential Moving Behaviour in the presence of Moving Costs," ERSA conference papers ersa05p520, European Regional Science Association.
- Larsen, Morten Marott & Pilegaard, Ninette & Ommeren, Jos Van, 2008.
"Congestion and residential moving behaviour,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 378-387, July.
- Ma, Xiaosu & Lo, Hong K., 2012. "Modeling transport management and land use over time," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 687-709.
- Mattsson, Lars-Goeran & Sjoelin, Lina, 2002. "Transport and location effects of a ring road with or without road pricing," ERSA conference papers ersa02p056, European Regional Science Association.
- Jonas Westin, 2011. "Labor Market Effects of Road Pricing in a Population with Continuously Distributed Value of Time," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1458, European Regional Science Association.
- Safirova, Elena A. & Houde, Sébastien & Lipman, D. Abram & Harrington, Winston & Bagliano, Andrew D., 2006. "Congestion Pricing: Long-Term Economic and Land-Use Effects," Discussion Papers dp-06-37, Resources For the Future.
- de Palma, André & Kilani, Moez & Lindsey, Robin, 2005. "Congestion pricing on a road network: A study using the dynamic equilibrium simulator METROPOLIS," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 588-611.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.