The Accountability Cycle in Public Agencies: Lessons from Italian Experiences
AbstractThe diffusion of Public Agencies seems to characterise the approach to public management in European countries. Under New Public Management, the role of politics is to provide strategic planning and economic policy target defini-tion, whereas the administration is responsible for the management of public services. Moreover, the separation between politics and administration is strengthened by downsizing and decentralizing the public central administra-tion. The current paper argues that this split necessitates careful attention to the adoption of models of accountability that respond to both citizen and political information needs. Thus, with respect to public agencies, this paper models accountability levels, defines an accountability cycle showing the relations between politics, administration, and citizens, and applies this model to the Italian case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by DSI - Dipartimento di Studi sull'Impresa in its journal DSI Essays Series.
Volume (Year): 12 (2010)
Issue (Month): ()
Accountability; Public Agency; Planning and Management System; Perform-ance Evaluation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- H70 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - General
- H83 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - Public Administration
- L31 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Nonprofit Institutions; NGOs
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mario Risso).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.