Les Déterminants De L’Activité De Recherche Et Développement Des Entreprises Manufacturières Tunisiennes
AbstractThis paper aims to analyse the role of the main determinants of the R&D activity of Tunisian manufacturing enterprises with the help of a probit model. The findings show that channels of technological transfer such as export, FDI and technological alliances, influence the R&D activity of enterprises positively. In particular, technological alliances constitute the most important source of learning inter enterprises. The results highlight the complementarity between trade, FDI and technological alliances. On the other hand, we have verified that an improvement in the qualification level of the labour force increases the technological effort of enterprises. Moreover, we focus on positive interactions of the human capital with the different channels of technological transfer. We found that domestic R&D activity is more sensitive to the interaction between human capital and FDI. Our empiric analysis specified that the engagement in the Program of Stake to Level and the achievement of certification play an important role in developing the technological absorptive capacity of Tunisian enterprises.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var in its journal Région et Développement.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): ()
ACTIVITÉ DE R&D; TRANSFERT TECHNOLOGIQUE; TUNISIE; CAPACITÉ D’ABSORPTION;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Glass, Amy Jocelyn & Saggi, Kamal, 1998. "International technology transfer and the technology gap," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 369-398, April.
- Jamal BOUOIYOUR & Saïd TOUFIK, 2007. "L'Impact Des Investissements Directs Étrangers Et Du Capital Humain Sur La Productivité Des Industries Manufacturières Marocaines," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 25, pages 115-136.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Mairesse, Jacques, 1995.
"Exploring the relationship between R&D and productivity in French manufacturing firms,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 263-293, January.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 1995. "Exploring the Relationship Between R&D and Productivity in French Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 3956, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chui, Michael & Currie, David & Levine, Paul L & Pearlman, Joseph, 1996.
"Phases of Imitation and Innovation in a North-South Endogenous Growth Model,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1489, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Currie, David, et al, 1999. "Phases of Imitation and Innovation in a North-South Endogenous Growth Model," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 60-88, January.
- David Currie & Paul Levine & Joeseph Pearlman & Michael Chui, 1996. "Phases of Imitation and Innovation in a North-South Endogenous Growth Model," School of Economics Discussion Papers 9602, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Benhabib, Jess & Spiegel, Mark M., 1994. "The role of human capital in economic development evidence from aggregate cross-country data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 143-173, October.
- Arnold, Jens Matthias & Javorcik, Beata Smarzynska, 2005.
"Gifted kids or pushy parents? Foreign acquisitions and plant performance in Indonesia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3597, The World Bank.
- Jens Matthias Arnold & Beata Smarzynska Javorcik, 2005. "Gifted Kids or Pushy Parents? Foreign Acquisitions and Plant Performance in Indonesia," Development Working Papers 197, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Arnold, Jens & Smarzynska Javorcik, Beata, 2005. "Gifted Kids or Pushy Parents? Foreign Acquisitions and Plant Performance in Indonesia," CEPR Discussion Papers 5065, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kumar, Nagesh & Saqib, Mohammed, 1996. "Firm size, opportunities for adaptation and in-house R & D activity in developing countries: the case of Indian manufacturing," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 713-722, August.
- Marios Zachariadis, . "International Technology Diffusion and Growth in the Manufacturing Sector of Developing Economies," Departmental Working Papers 2002-20, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Almeida, Rita K. & Fernandes, Ana Margarida, 2007.
"Openness and Technological Innovations in Developing Countries: Evidence from Firm-Level Surveys,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2907, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rita Almeida & Ana Margarida Fernandes, 2008. "Openness and Technological Innovations in Developing Countries: Evidence from Firm-Level Surveys," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(5), pages 701-727.
- Almeida, Rita & Fernandes, Ana Margarida, 2006. "Openness and technological innovations in developing countries : evidence from firm-level surveys," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3985, The World Bank.
- Jörg MAYER, 2001. "Technology Diffusion, Human Capital And Economic Growth In Developing Countries," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 154, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Braga, Helson & Willmore, Larry, 1991. "Technological Imports and Technological Effort: An Analysis of Their Determinants in Brazilian Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 421-32, June.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 1996. "Absorptive capacity: On the creation and acquisition of technology in development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 199-227, April.
- Hanel, P. & Niosi, J., 1998. "La technologie et la croissance economique: survol de la litterature," Papers 98-01, Quebec a Montreal - C.R.E.D.I.T..
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Technology, market characteristics, and spillovers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 279-293, April.
- Sami SAAFI & Fouzi SBOUI, 2011. "LES OPPORTUNITES DES INVESTISSEMENTS DIRECTS ETRANGERS LES OPPORTUNITES DES INVESTISSEMENTS DIRECTS ETRANGERS, DIFFUSION TECHNOLOGIQUE ET DEMANDE DE LA MAIN-D’OEUVRE PAR QUALIFICATION DES INDUSTRIES," Working Papers 240, Laboratoire de Recherche sur l'Industrie et l'Innovation. ULCO / Research Unit on Industry and Innovation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.