Localisation Des Activités De R&D Des Firmes Multinationales, Modes D’Organisation En Réseaux Et Transfert Transnational Des Connaissances : Un Cadre D’Analyse
AbstractIn this paper, we deal with the process of internationalisation of R&D activities. In particular, we focus our study on the factors explaining the localisation of multinational corporations’ (MNC) foreign direct investment in R&D. Firstly we set out evidence regarding the recent trends of the firms’ R&D internationalisation in particular with the emergence of the Asian area. We suggest an analytical framework broken down into two lines of reasoning that have never been articulated so far. The first is provided by the distinction first elaborated by Dunning (2000) between asset-augmenting and asset-exploiting activities. The second comes from the firm network organization in particular the taxonomy suggested by the De Meyer (1993 and 1998) papers. These two models enable us to picture out the different mechanisms relating to the knowledge creation/absorption/diffusion and the motivations matching the localisation. We show that the main features of the model still remain relevant in the case of the Chinese innovation system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var in its journal Région et Développement.
Volume (Year): 28 (2008)
Issue (Month): ()
LOCALISATION DE LA R&D; FIRMES MULTINATIONALES; RÉSEAUX; CONNAISSANCES;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lundin, Nannan & Schwaag Serger, Sylvia, 2007. "Globalization of R&D and China – Empirical Observations and Policy Implications," Working Paper Series 710, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Gary H. Jefferson & Albert G. Z. Hu & Jian Su, 2006. "The Sources and Sustainability of China's Economic Growth," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 37(2), pages 1-60.
- André TORRE, 2006. "Clusters Et Systèmes Locaux D'Innovation - Retour Critique Sur Les Hypothèses Naturalistes De Transmission Des Connaissances À L'Aide Des Catégories De L'Économie De La Proximité," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 24, pages 15-43.
- Patel, Pari & Vega, Modesto, 1999. "Patterns of internationalisation of corporate technology: location vs. home country advantages1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 145-155, March.
- Pari Patel & Christian Le Bas, 2005. "Does Internationalisation of Technology Determine Technological Diversification in Large Firms ? An Empirical Study," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 110(1), pages 157-174.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2001.
"Knowledge spillovers and local innovation systems: a critical survey,"
LIUC Papers in Economics
84, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2001. "Knowledge Spillovers and Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 975-1005, December.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2000. "Knowledge Spillovers And Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey," ERSA conference papers ersa00p362, European Regional Science Association.
- Cantwell, John, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: What Remains of the Product Cycle Model?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 155-74, February.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-96, September.
- Hewitt, Gary, 1980. "Research and Development Performed Abroad by U.S. Manufacturing Multinationals," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 308-27.
- Walter Kuemmerle, 1999. "The Drivers of Foreign Direct Investment into Research and Development: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Gassmann, Oliver & von Zedtwitz, Maximilian, 1999. "New concepts and trends in international R&D organization," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 231-250, March.
- Qian, Gongming & Li, Ji, 1998. "Multinationality, global market diversification, and risk performance for the largest U.S. firms," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 149-170, October.
- Christian Le Bas & Pari Patel, 2005. "Does internationalisation of technology determine technological diversification in large firms?," SPRU Working Paper Series 128, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Wagner, Caroline S. & Leydesdorff, Loet, 2005. "Network structure, self-organization, and the growth of international collaboration in science," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1608-1618, December.
- SHIMIZUTANI Satoshi & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007.
"What Determines Overseas R&D Activities? The Case of Japanese Multinational Firms,"
07010, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Shimizutani, Satoshi & Todo, Yasuyuki, 2008. "What determines overseas R&D activities? The case of Japanese multinational firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 530-544, April.
- Patel, Pari, 1995. "Localised Production of Technology for Global Markets," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 141-53, February.
- Breschi, Stefano & Malerba, Franco, 2001. "The Geography of Innovation and Economic Clustering: Some Introductory Notes," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 817-33, December.
- Cantwell, John & Piscitello, Lucia, 2000. "Accumulating Technological Competence: Its Changing Impact on Corporate Diversification and Internationalization," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 21-51, March.
- Dunning, John H. (ed.), 2000. "Regions, Globalization, and the Knowledge-Based Economy," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198295365.
- Ioana Popovici, 2005. "Outward R&D and Knowledge Spillovers: Evidence Using Patent Citations," Working Papers 0516, Florida International University, Department of Economics.
- Hu, Albert Guangzhou & Jefferson, Gary H., 2009. "A great wall of patents: What is behind China's recent patent explosion?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 57-68, September.
- Cantwell, John & Iammarino, Simona, 2001. "EU Regions and Multinational Corporations: Change, Stability and Strengthening of Technological Comparative Advantages," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 1007-37, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.