Chilean Agriculture And Major Economic Reforms: Growth, Trade, Poverty And The Environment
AbstractThis study examines the Chilean experience of economic and trade reforms, deregulation and privatization beginning in the 1970s, and their effect on the agricultural sector from the 1980s to the present. Especially interesting is the interaction between the sectoral, macroeconomic and institutional reforms that influenced the incentive structure in factor markets. This study presents an interpretation of the principal impacts of the reforms and how they contributed to changes in the level and composition of production, the significant reduction in rural poverty, and rural-urban migration. The greater orientation toward the production of exportables encouraged by economic reforms contributed significantly to rural employment and incomes, and was also associated with a reduction in agro-chemical use relative to production value.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var in its journal Region et Developpement.
Volume (Year): 23 (2006)
Issue (Month): ()
CHILE; AGRICULTURAL POLICY; REFORMS; AGRICULTURAL EXPORTS; TRADE LIBERALIZATION; RURAL POVERTY; RURAL URBAN MIGRATIONS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Woden, Q.T. & Ayres, W. & Barenstein, M. & Hicks, N. & Lee, K. & Maloney, W. & Peeters, P. & Siaens, C. & Yitzjaki, S., 2000. "Poverty and Policy in Latin America and Caribeean," Papers 467, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Lopez, Ramon E. & Anriquez, Gustavo, 2004.
"Poverty and Agricultural Growth: Chile in the 1990s,"
eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics,
Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 1(1).
- Ramón López & Gustavo Anríquez, 2004. "Poverty and Agricultural Growth: Chile in the 1990s," The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, vol. 1(1), pages 6-24.
- repec:wbp:wbpubs:9780821347546 is not listed on IDEAS
- Geoffrey J. D. Hewings & Patricio Aroca, 2002. "Migration and regional labor market adjustment: Chile 1977-1982 and 1987-1992," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 197-218.
- Mundlak, Yair & Cavallo, Domingo & Domenech, Roberto, 1989. "Agriculture and economic growth in Argentina, 1913-84:," Research reports 76, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kym Anderson & Francesca de Nicola & Esteban Jara & Marianne Kurzweil & Damiano Sandri & Ernesto Valenzuela, 2007. "Distortions in farmer prices since the 1950s: South Africa in international perspective," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2007-08, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Saldias, Rodrigo & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2012. "Access to credit and the determinants of technical inefficiency among specialized small farmers in Chile," DARE Discussion Papers 1211, Georg-August University of Göttingen, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (DARE).
- Anderson, Kym & de Nicola, Francesca & Jara, Esteban & Kurzweil, Marianne & Sandri, Damiano & Valenzuela, Ernesto, 2007. "Distortions in farmer prices since 1950s: South Africa in international perspective," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 46(4), December.
- Reyes, Alvaro & Lensink, Robert & Kuyvenhoven, Arie & Moll, Henk, 2012. "Impact of Access to Credit on Farm Productivity of Fruit and Vegetable Growers in Chile," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126217, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Valdes, Alberto & Jara, Esteban, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Chile," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48391, World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.