Regret testing: learning to play Nash equilibrium without knowing you have an opponent
AbstractA learning rule is uncoupled if a player does not condition his strategy on the opponent's payoffs. It is radically uncoupled if a player does not condition his strategy on the opponent's actions or payoffs. We demonstrate a family of simple, radically uncoupled learning rules whose period-by-period behavior comes arbitrarily close to Nash equilibrium behavior in any finite two-person game.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Theoretical Economics.
Volume (Year): 1 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://econtheory.org
Learning; Nash equilibrium; regret; bounded rationality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Heinrich H. Nax & Bary S. R. Pradelski & H. Peyton Young, 2013. "The Evolution of Core Stability in Decentralized Matching Markets," Working Papers 2013.50, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Young, H. Peyton, 2009. "Learning by trial and error," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 626-643, March.
- Yakov Babichenko, 2010. "Completely Uncoupled Dynamics and Nash Equilibria," Discussion Paper Series dp529, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Hart, Sergiu & Mansour, Yishay, 2010. "How long to equilibrium? The communication complexity of uncoupled equilibrium procedures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 107-126, May.
- Itai Arieli & H Peyton Young, 2011. "Fast Convergence in Population Games," Economics Series Working Papers 570, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- H Peyton Young & Jason R. Marden and Lucy Y. Pao, 2011. "Achieving Pareto Optimality Through Distributed Learning," Economics Series Working Papers 557, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Pradelski, Bary S.R. & Young, H. Peyton, 2012. "Learning efficient Nash equilibria in distributed systems," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 882-897.
- Stein, Noah D. & Parrilo, Pablo A. & Ozdaglar, Asuman, 2011. "Correlated equilibria in continuous games: Characterization and computation," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 436-455, March.
- Marden, Jason R. & Shamma, Jeff S., 2012. "Revisiting log-linear learning: Asynchrony, completeness and payoff-based implementation," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 788-808.
- Karl Schlag & Andriy Zapechelnyuk, 2009.
"Decision Making in Uncertain and Changing Environments,"
19, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Karl H. Schlag & Andriy Zapechelnyuk, 2009. "Decision Making in Uncertain and Changing Environments," Levine's Working Paper Archive 814577000000000259, David K. Levine.
- Karl Schlag & Andriy Zapechelnyuk, 2009. "Decision making in uncertain and changing environments," Economics Working Papers 1160, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Arieli, Itai & Babichenko, Yakov, 2012. "Average testing and Pareto efficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(6), pages 2376-2398.
- H. Peyton Young, 2007. "The Possible and the Impossible in Multi-Agent Learning," Economics Series Working Papers 304, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Babichenko, Yakov, 2012. "Completely uncoupled dynamics and Nash equilibria," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 1-14.
- Vivaldo M. Mendes & Diana A. Mendes & Orlando Gomes, 2008. "Learning to Play Nash in Deterministic Uncoupled Dynamics," Working Papers Series 1 ercwp1808, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin J. Osborne).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.