The transfer problem: A complete characterization
AbstractThe transfer problem is defined by the possibility for a donor country to end up better off after having given away some resources to another country. The simplest version of that problem can be formulated in a two consumer exchange economy with fixed total resources. Existence of a transfer problem at some equilibrium is known to be equivalent to instability in the case of two goods. This characterization is extended to an arbitrary number of goods by showing that a transfer problem exists at a (regular) equilibrium if and only if this equilibrium has an index value equal to -1. Samuelson's conjecture that there is no transfer problem at tatonnement stable equilibria is therefore true for any number of goods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Theoretical Economics.
Volume (Year): (Forthcoming)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://econtheory.org
Transfer problem; regular equilibrium; index value;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- F20 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balasko, Yves, 1978. "The Transfer Problem and the Theory of Regular Economies," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 19(3), pages 687-94, October.
- Balasko, Yves, 2012. "On the number of critical equilibria separating two equilibria," Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 7(1), January.
- Balasko, Yves, 1975. "Some results on uniqueness and on stability of equilibrium in general equilibrium theory," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 95-118.
- Balasko, Yves, 1992. "The set of regular equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 1-8, October.
- Dierker, Egbert, 1972. "Two Remarks on the Number of Equilibria of an Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(5), pages 951-53, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin J. Osborne).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.