Sraffa and von Neumann
AbstractThis paper discusses the relationship between Piero Sraffa's 1960 book and John von Neumann's 1937 paper on economic growth in the light of some of the material contained in Sraffa's unpublished papers and correspondence. It is argued that the two contributions share a similar outlook and exhibit conceptual parallels; in fact, they can both be said to belong to the 'classical' approach to the theory of value and distribution. The latter is characterized, among other things, by an asymmetric treatment of the distributive variables, the rate of return on capital and the real wage rate. Sraffa's papers show that when he came across the von Neumann model in the mid-1940s his own analysis was already quite advanced, including his analysis of joint production. The paper also contains an exchange of letters between John Richard Hicks and Sraffa on some of the issues dealt with in the latter's book.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Review of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=102233
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1997.
"Theory of Production,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521588676, November.
- Salvadori, Neri, 1985. "Switching in Methods of Production and Joint Production," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 53(2), pages 156-78, June.
- Steedman, Ian, 1976. "Positive Profits with Negative Surplus Value: A Reply to Wolfstetter," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(344), pages 873-76, December.
- Schefold, Bertram, 1980. "Von Neumann and Sraffa: Mathematical Equivalence and Conceptual Difference," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(357), pages 140-56, March.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2011.
"Mutamenti strutturali: modelli, metodi e principi in una nuova prospettiva
[Structural changes: models, methods and principles towards a new perspective]," MPRA Paper 31566, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Li, Wu, 2010.
[An Equilibrium Analysis under Cobb-Douglas Production and Utility Functions]," MPRA Paper 23070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Li, Wu, 2010. "A Study on Dynamic General Equilibrium under the Classical Growth Framework," MPRA Paper 25540, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2009. "Structural models and structural change: analytical principles and methodological issues," MPRA Paper 24480, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniele SCHILIRO, 2012.
"Structural Change And Models Of Structural Analysis: Theories, Principles And Methods,"
Journal of Advanced Research in Law and Economics,
ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 31-49, December.
- Schilirò, Daniele, 2012. "Structural change and models of structural analysis: theories, principles and methods," MPRA Paper 41817, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soklis, George, 2009. "The Conversion of the Supply and Use Tables to Symmetric Input-Output Tables: A Critical Review," MPRA Paper 46873, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soklis, George, 2011. "Wage-profit curves of the Finnish economy: evidence from the supply and use tables," MPRA Paper 30183, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.